Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Dice--Mixed/Mastered
Mixed in Pro Tools 11.
Mastered with Izotope Ozone 6.

I used all of the original tracks, including the three bass guitar tracks. I blended them together to form a full, "sludgy" sound which seemed appropriate for the song, but then tried to balance it with a more mid-range guitar tone and by cutting the master a little bright.

Comment with any thoughts/critiques!

.mp3    The Dice.mp3 --  (Download: 11.08 MB)

(20-05-2016, 09:11 PM)JMH Wrote: Mixed in Pro Tools 11.
Mastered with Izotope Ozone 6.

I used all of the original tracks, including the three bass guitar tracks. I blended them together to form a full, "sludgy" sound which seemed appropriate for the song, but then tried to balance it with a more mid-range guitar tone and by cutting the master a little bright.

Comment with any thoughts/critiques!

Nice mix! Listened to a few on here but this is by far the best. Good overall balance, the lows are defined & kept in check...a lot of energy in the sub 80hz on this track. Guitars sound good, could use a touch more gain on them for my liking, ideally something which might have been rectified during the recording process. The lead vocal sounds a little trapped in the mix, whilst clear enough, I'm wondering if raising the fader or automating it slightly might allow it to sit a little higher especially in the chorus where it needs to soar.

I had a go myself mixing a small excerpt and found the drums were a bit of a bugger to work with, what was going on with that HiHat Huh sounded like an overcompressed midi sample or something, so kudos for getting those overheads sounding sweet. Nice job on the mastering too, your choices here have suited the track pretty neatly; loud but with articulation.

Nice job!
“The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Focusrite 2i4 into Logic Pro X on MacBook Pro 2.5Ghz 16GB RAM
I disagree with fs prod

*too much reverb on the overheads.
*there is a hand full of low mids mudding up your mix. Its giving it problems to bass and guitars.
*vocals are sounding good in there though I would give it just a bit more. clarity to stand out in the mix better.
*good use of vocal fx!
*last but not least this is quite loud. There is some clipping distortion going on here and there. Loud isn't always good.

I believe your main problem is in the bass. If you clean it up you will have a better sounding mix.

Hope this helps.
Remixed/remastered.

I took out two of the guitar tracks and re-EQ'ed to widen the stereo image, I re-Eq'ed the bass and kick to blend better, then I side-chained a 55 Hz gated signal to the kick to add some low-end thud. I also found the sweet spot on the vocals and boosted it to make everything more intelligible without just kicking up the volume on the whole track. Lastly, I automated the volume on the bass and guitars to make the song sections more dynamic, with quieter verses and louder chorus/intro/outro.

.mp3    The Dice (Remastered).mp3 --  (Download: 11.06 MB)

Super good vocal creativity. The mix sounds good but there are 2 things that for my taste could be improved. The guitars are a tad thick Imo and are taking up real estate where the bass could shine through. The drums breath well but are a bit too far back in the mix. Good job overall.