Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Nova-One Studio: 'Four Graham'
Hello fellows

Please give me your comments destroy it or love it!!!

Dan Mak

.mp3    Four Graham master320kb.mp3 --  (Download: 6.3 MB)

Hi there is a lot of phasing in your mix, drums are not consistent, did you mix through headphones?
Did you specifically removed the snare drum in some places? I asking because I note that you make some comping works, like remove electro guitars in some places... It is strange to hear when you expect a completely different. Drums disappear unpredictably. And I hear that you had change the snare? Nice sample.
Backvocals are louder than the lead vocal sometimes in the first chorus. Mid on the bass is little sticking... Anyway all the mix is too liquid, if you understand me. All the sound is floating in your mix.

I'm apologize, but I try to be objective and, however, it's all IMO.

Thanks.
Brave take with this one. I agree with others that some consistent is lacking.

But first of all I like the creative cut offs.
I like the idea to take some of the snare hits away. It creates nice alteration to the groove.
But they are not probably implemented the best way yet. Listen for example the transition around 1:00. It sound like another song for a moment.

Main weakness of this mix - I think - is the low end.
Kick might have a bit more attack. Now it’s low frequencies only. Bass is hard to hear here and there. Listen for example around 0:40. there I hear mainly the low end of kick. But around 1:20 I can hear it very nicely. I haven’t even heard those bass riffs before.

Some explosive moments get cut off by compressor
0:10, 0:26

Vox feels too thin. It’s ok if it’s thin as an effect somewhere, but now it’s thin all the time. It begins to feel annoying yelling after some time.

But if you take some time to fix those transitions and create somehow some consitency while still keeping your main ideas, you'll get interesting and different mix out of this.

Hello Dan

*the worse inconsistency here is in the drums.
I feel that you didn't triggered the samples well. Some cut offs in the snare sound really odd that I doubt you did this on purpose. (I could be wrong) but the main problem with your cut offs is the BLEED of snare, hihat etc. From other mics on the rest of the drum kid. If you want this drum grove to work I would suggest to trigger all of your drums and just leave the cymbals. Having said that if this was indeed done on purpose I can honestly say is not good.
I am a drummer my self and I don't approve of this Smile it doesn't fit with the musical arrangement of the rest of the song.

That's about all the input I can give you till the drums sound better Smile. Take this comment as a constructive comment. Not everybody tells you you are doing it wrong.. The few people who do want you to improve.