Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
nova-one Studio - Four Graham
This mix has been extremely difficult. There's something in the drums that I don't like and I can't find what it is. Probably the toms. I hope someone can give me some hints in order to improve the mix.

.mp3    Nova One Studio - Four Graham.mp3 --  (Download: 6.2 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Mmmmm this track was kinda tough for me too...
The drums in this mix were just hard, but I think you could clean up the drums a little with some eq, most of the drums seem muddy (Bring up the highs in the EQ and drop some mids)

There seems to be some heavy compression on the snare with some distortion? The sound kinda dies.

Speaking of compression, maybe a little heavier compression on the vox? Also the voice sounds a little muddy as well, scoop some of the mids and bump some of the upper eq (A Deesser will help cut out some of the annoying high peeks)

Your mix of guitars and bass is quite good!
Hey Juan

Well I replaced the whole drum kit. The recording was not great unfortunately.

*Drums need more clarity for my taste.
*Overall distortion guitars should be louder to give it that rock feel to it.
*Balances feel good, Is just Eq that needs polishing overall.

I would say you are on the right track.. perhaps cleaning your drums will give you a better perspective.
Keep it up.

I like the vox sound, very natural. Is it a bit too loud?

I don’t hear cymbals almost at all. Drummer was quite busy with them…

I think you were a bit too careful with kick. Now it doesn’t participate in the groove.
I think you should replace both kick and snare, like most of us here have done.

When solo starts I think it would be natural that it would come in with the same kind of brightness that vox has. Solo replaces vox. Now it feels as if it’s coming from behind of the blanket.
thank you guys. I will work a little bit more on it after reading your advice and let's see what I can do!
mixing since April 2013
I've been following your advice and replaced the kick and snare completely. Now it sounds better to me, so thank you again! Smile

.mp3    Nova One Studio - Four Graham(2).mp3 --  (Download: 6.2 MB)

mixing since April 2013