Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Four Graham - HB Mix
Great song, great vocal performance but the whole session is hampered by the tracking process making this song way harder to mix than you'd expect
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

New version, HB Mix 1.1 uploaded below
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

New version, HB Mix 1.2 uploaded below

.mp3    Four Graham_HB Mix 1.0.mp3 --  (Download: 6.38 MB)

Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
New version, HB Mix 1.1.

As soon as I posted Mix 1.0, I could hear things that were annoying me so made a few small balance moves.

.mp3    Four Graham_HB Mix 1.1.mp3 --  (Download: 6.38 MB)

Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

Hey hbguitar.

Here are a few observations.

* the new kick has an odd tempo anomaly. As if it was delayed a bit. Maybe you moved it slightly I'm accident?
* the bass volume is making the guitar powerless. I would turn the guitars up at least 3 db.

* are you by any chance using the recorded snare? I sense there are two snares playing here. It kind of sounds weird. Like the snap and bottom snare don't belong.

*vocal is smooth sounding in the mix.
*the guitars need more life. They sound muffled. Maybe a cut around the 300-500hz area.. Or a boat on the 3khz could help.

Keep it up
I'm Sure you can improve it.
(16-04-2016, 06:14 AM)Shul Wrote: Hey hbguitar.

the guitars need more life. They sound muffled. Maybe a cut around the 300-500hz area.. Or a boat on the 3khz could help.
Hey shul,

for sure....spot on. I think with all the cymbal smashes i was worried about too much high end creeping in and ending up not pushing the high mids enough to get that bite.

Its weird how hearing a mix thru' other peoples ears makes things so obviousSmile

VOx sound is great
Overall sound feels balanced to me.

Drums sound maybe a bit too compressed. Now there’s no room for small accents. Listen for example 0:24 when drums come in after soft voice. THere should be an explosion.

Is it compression that brings up cymbals?

Drum groove is fine elsewhere except behind the solo. Something weird is happening there. Is snare too compressed there? Somehow the tail is spoiling the feeling.
(19-04-2016, 12:13 PM)Olli H Wrote: VOx sound is great
Overall sound feels balanced to me.

Drums sound maybe a bit too compressed. Now there’s no room for small accents. Listen for example 0:24 when drums come in after soft voice. THere should be an explosion.

Is it compression that brings up cymbals?

Drum groove is fine elsewhere except behind the solo. Something weird is happening there. Is snare too compressed there? Somehow the tail is spoiling the feeling.

Hi Olli - thx for listening and for your comments

re compression - totally agree. I used a different compressor than i normally do on the drum bus (for fun and experimenting) and it made it sound worse than i thought. A lot of the weirdness in the timings are being caused I think by the release times being not right for such a fast song- and the compressor I chose is simple analogue style with no release controls.

I've been having a break from the song but I'll probably go and have one more go at improving it - i have some ideas that seem to work...just need a final balance check.

Cheers, Simon

New version, HB Mix 1.2. few tweaks

1. upper mid range EQ boost on guitars for a bit more bite/life
2. rework compression on drum buss
3. tweak master buss EQ/compression
4. tweak automation
5. final re-balance

probably gone as far as I'm gonna go on this mix without deleting the whole session and starting again.

.mp3    Four Graham_HB Mix 1.2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.38 MB)