Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Four Graham (it was certainly a good test!)
First post here,

This multi-track was certainly a challenge. For what is a solid arrangement and enjoyable song overall the engineering and performances were VERY poor.

I hate completely replacing kicks, snares and toms with samples and avoid it at all costs usually. Of course augmenting the existing sounds is something I do all the time but I like to maintain a sense of performance and space from the drummers real take. In this case though I didn't feel like there was much of an option to replace everything but the overheads and room. The kick might as well have been a room mic and the snare was not tuned in a way that I thought was suitable for the track and had lots of dodgy low mid resonances (or proximity effect from the mic). There were a lot of timing issues in the performance there too, his/her kick timing in particular!

Bass guitar was the best part of the tracking but no means perfect, I felt it needed some upper mids to make it cut with the guitars.

Guitars were extremely boxy, seemingly recorded in a small environment. Some of the harmony parts seemed a bit out of tune too.

Vocals were the most inconsistent I've ever seen. The amount of clip gain then compression I used was unreal. It was like the singer at turned completely away from the mic at times. During the performance the character of the take seemed to change too, was it even done over different days.

Anyway, I guess its good to have a challenge sometimes.

.mp3    Four Graham (Limited 1.2).mp3 --  (Download: 6.3 MB)

Hello

I share the same view as you. It was really fun to mix this song though.

Here are my observations.

*snare feels very separate from the rest of the kit. I would turn the volume down a bit as I feel it pokes out too much.
*intro vocal has a ranging freq. At around 1khz or so. Use a very narrow eq. Same thing in some of the bridge parts. Its more obvious on the "crazYYYYY" part.
*guitar tones feel nice
*overall balance is good, just the drum inconsistency.

Keep it up.. This is sounding really good.