Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick Mix, Light Master
(10-04-2016, 01:26 PM)Dangerous Wrote:
(10-04-2016, 12:29 PM)mattashy Wrote: I cleaned up the silence in the tracks when there wasn't any audio data and I also bounced it out at 44.1 24 instead of 48 24 this time, so it could be a little bit of both that was causing the pops. I have each paired gtr track panned hard L/R and then routed to a bus (GTR 1 - GTR 4) since there's two tracks for each guitar part.

Hey Matt,

I would be checking your guitar arrangement and panning. Listening through headphones they are sounding quite mono and a little phasey. (Comb filtering effect) With hard panning should be sounding really wide with headphones. Even try using just 2 guitars as the main panned pair and bring up the other two at a lesser volume for some added weight (listening for filtering problems at the same time). Sometimes you've got to be careful with four guitars as they can cancel them selves out it bit. You can quite often get a bigger guitar sound by just using two.

Dave.

Thanks for the help. I have been having a little trouble getting the guitars to sit right. I'll go make some changes and see if it solves that.

(10-04-2016, 12:29 PM)mattashy Wrote: I cleaned up the silence in the tracks when there wasn't any audio data and I also bounced it out at 44.1 24 instead of 48 24 this time, so it could be a little bit of both that was causing the pops. I have each paired gtr track panned hard L/R and then routed to a bus (GTR 1 - GTR 4) since there's two tracks for each guitar part.

Put a delay of at least 99ms on one of the guitar tracks pair to make the mono feel out of it. If you copied the track and just separated the two, is still the same information in both channels. A delay in one will separate them in the stereo field.
(10-04-2016, 04:47 PM)Shul Wrote:

Put a delay of at least 99ms on one of the guitar tracks pair to make the mono feel out of it. If you copied the track and just separated the two, is still the same information in both channels. A delay in one will separate them in the stereo field.

I didn't change the original arrangement, I just hard panned the doubled guitar tracks they provided in the session. I changed the pan/stereo width on one of the pairs and brought it down in the mix as Dave suggested and it seems to have opened up quite nicely on my end. Here is the most updated version:

.mp3    Lead Inc - The Dice v4.mp3 --  (Download: 13.89 MB)

(10-04-2016, 05:25 PM)mattashy Wrote:
(10-04-2016, 04:47 PM)Shul Wrote:

I didn't change the original arrangement, I just hard panned the doubled guitar tracks they provided in the session. I changed the pan/stereo width on one of the pairs and brought it down in the mix as Dave suggested and it seems to have opened up quite nicely on my end. Here is the most updated version:

I'm just realizing that the guitar tracks are the same performance mic'd with two different mics, instead of doubled tracks like I had thought. I'll try the delay trick you mentioned to see how that sounds. Thanks for the continued feedback. It's helping me get a good sound.
Hey Matt,
Listening to V4 the guitars are still very mono dispite your panning. I'm wondering if you have panned the same guitar parts and layered the second.
Try panning Elec Guitar 2 Mic 2 90-100% left and Elect Guitar 3 Mic 2 90-100% right and using these as your main pair. Then pan Elect Guitar 2 Mic 1 left and Elect Guitar 3 Mic 1 Right 40-100% to taste and bring the volume up to add weight and support the main pair. Hope this helps.
(11-04-2016, 12:17 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Hey Matt,
Listening to V4 the guitars are still very mono dispite your panning. I'm wondering if you have panned the same guitar parts and layered the second.
Try panning Elec Guitar 2 Mic 2 90-100% left and Elect Guitar 3 Mic 2 90-100% right and using these as your main pair. Then pan Elect Guitar 2 Mic 1 left and Elect Guitar 3 Mic 1 Right 40-100% to taste and bring the volume up to add weight and support the main pair. Hope this helps.

I was panning the wrong pair the whole time, silly me. I think this sounds drastically different to me, but I could be wrong. I'm new to mixing this style of music and this forum has helped me tremendously with that. Thanks again for the help!

.mp3    Lead Inc - The Dice v5.mp3 --  (Download: 13.89 MB)

v5 sounds more stereo the lead vox a bit hidden to me, and the guitars has too much energy in the 3 - 4 Khz, it's a little bit hard for the ears, 300 hz and 600 hz it's also a little bit high. the balance is very good so now it's just details
(11-04-2016, 08:03 PM)lupulus Wrote: v5 sounds more stereo the lead vox a bit hidden to me, and the guitars has too much energy in the 3 - 4 Khz, it's a little bit hard for the ears, 300 hz and 600 hz it's also a little bit high. the balance is very good so now it's just details

Thank you for your feedback. I've been working on fixing stereo placement on the guitars, now that everything is sitting well in the mix, I'll go about fine tuning the eq and automation. I'm getting close to feeling good about this mix.