Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Dice mix
Hey guys!

Here's my mix for The Dice.

I'm open to any kind of feedback. Thank you!

.mp3    TheDice(Mix_02).mp3 --  (Download: 13.84 MB)

Overall you have the basis of a good mix, the guitars are meaty and full, the drums are punchy, and the vocals are clear and crisp. There are however some glitches that need some tweaking.

The bass is really subby sounding and is getting lost in the mix. I would recommend using the DI bass track, spliting it up into a Highpassed and Lowpassed track, compress the low pass track so that it is very consistant in level and leave it clean, run the highpassed track through a guitar amp sim with some mild overdrive or distortion to give it some grind and use a peak limiter to remove any stray peaks, and blend the highpassed track to taste with the lowpassed track. Sending the 2 tracks of bass to a buss with a little compression will make it easier to adjust the overall level of the bass in the mix and will help glue the 2 tracks together.

The Vocals sound clear but are somewhat overcompressed and too wet with reverb IMHO. Try reducing the amount of compress you're using on the vocals and automate the parts you want to be louder of quieter, this method is abit more involved but ill yield better, more natural sounding results. The character of reverb you have going on fits the track, there is just too much mixed, try reducing the mix or level of the verb on the lead vocals so that the tail is less prominent and doesn't linger as much.

Finally the snare is quite boxy and dull sounding. Try using more of the bottom snare track and scooping out some 300-400 Hz from the top snare track. I found running my snare through a hard driven Neve preamp emulation and a soft clipper really helped the snare cut through the mix without sounding too harsh or obnoxious.

Hope this helps,
Dcp

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Hey Nikes

*Really like the guitars.
*Toms need to be more upfront.. Or it could be they are being swallowed by the low end excess
*Bass needs to be cleaner.. I would high pass some of the very low freq. And cut some 200hz.
*I like the Eq on the vocals but I agree the reverb tail is killing it.

All in all You are very close to a mix I would like Smile
(06-04-2016, 03:09 AM)dcp10200 Wrote: Overall you have the basis of a good mix, the guitars are meaty and full, the drums are punchy, and the vocals are clear and crisp. There are however some glitches that need some tweaking.

The bass is really subby sounding and is getting lost in the mix. I would recommend using the DI bass track, spliting it up into a Highpassed and Lowpassed track, compress the low pass track so that it is very consistant in level and leave it clean, run the highpassed track through a guitar amp sim with some mild overdrive or distortion to give it some grind and use a peak limiter to remove any stray peaks, and blend the highpassed track to taste with the lowpassed track. Sending the 2 tracks of bass to a buss with a little compression will make it easier to adjust the overall level of the bass in the mix and will help glue the 2 tracks together.

The Vocals sound clear but are somewhat overcompressed and too wet with reverb IMHO. Try reducing the amount of compress you're using on the vocals and automate the parts you want to be louder of quieter, this method is abit more involved but ill yield better, more natural sounding results. The character of reverb you have going on fits the track, there is just too much mixed, try reducing the mix or level of the verb on the lead vocals so that the tail is less prominent and doesn't linger as much.

Finally the snare is quite boxy and dull sounding. Try using more of the bottom snare track and scooping out some 300-400 Hz from the top snare track. I found running my snare through a hard driven Neve preamp emulation and a soft clipper really helped the snare cut through the mix without sounding too harsh or obnoxious.

Hope this helps,
Dcp

I'm loving this feedback!
They were a few things that I wasn't able to figure out. Thanks for the clarification!
Wow, love those guitars. The fx on the vocals are nice, too, just a little to wet.
Keep it up, you're on a good track!
(06-04-2016, 04:15 AM)Shul Wrote: Hey Nikes

*Really like the guitars.
*Toms need to be more upfront.. Or it could be they are being swallowed by the low end excess
*Bass needs to be cleaner.. I would high pass some of the very low freq. And cut some 200hz.
*I like the Eq on the vocals but I agree the reverb tail is killing it.

All in all You are very close to a mix I would like Smile

Hey thank you so much!
Yes I too felt the same about the toms, but I wasn't too sure.
And thanks for the advice about the bass, will incorporate it!
I'll get rid of the excessive reverb too!
Thank you!
(06-04-2016, 03:38 PM)wurstdrummer Wrote: Wow, love those guitars. The fx on the vocals are nice, too, just a little to wet.
Keep it up, you're on a good track!

Thank you!