Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
The Dice Draper Mix
I like what I have here. I think I may bring the guitars up a touch, and maybe the snare. Also maybe darken the overheads a bit. Any other observations?

Took about 2 hours to mix.

Draper

.mp3    THe Dice Conversion.mp3 --  (Download: 13.82 MB)

Hey Draper, tonally I quite like this mix, good job. There is quite a bit of rumble coming from the bass guitar though, perhaps high pass or multi-band comp to get it under control. Other than that, all good mate.
Thanks Mick,

I figured that might happen, mixing on headphones (late night mix), and I was being lazy and not using my spectrum analyzer. Thanks for the listen, and i'l attack the low end when I have a chance! Thanks for the comments!

Draper
So I brought the low end down, and brought up the center channel (mono sum of my stereo channels) of my guitars. For some reason, I also decided to swap the left and right channels so that the drums are now drummer's perspective. I think it added some good energy, no?

Draper

Edit* Maybe too much low end present in the kick now. . . dammit.

.mp3    THe Dice Conversion 2.mp3 --  (Download: 13.82 MB)

Hey loweche6,

you really need to work on your bass again. There's really much going on on the bass and sub bass frequencies, but it's really mumbly and undefined. Did you high-cut it?
Plus, there's some scratching going on with the guitar tracks. There's some frequencies that sizzle a lot.

I like the drums more from the drummer's perspective, so that's a really good thing. Plus, vocals and overall balance are great Smile

Keep it up!
Hey wurst,

I did not high cut it, but I definitely was going for more of a feel than hear vibe (not a fan of some of the note choices in the bass, and was using mixbus, so my plugin options were limited). I brought down the low end a lot more (listening to Aenema by Tool as a reference [which has a decent amount of sub in the bass as well] the bass seems to be more in line now). I brought the highs down in both the stereo buss and the mono buss of the guitars to cut down on a bit of the "scratching."

Without a decent amount of bass I felt like the song was kind of anemic, but I'm sure I was overcompensating!

Thanks for the feedback!

Draper

.mp3    THe Dice Conversion 3.mp3 --  (Download: 13.82 MB)

Hey Draper ,listening to version 3 sounds pretty good.
The bass guitar sounds a touch heavy around the 70-100 hz area,can also hear too much bottom end in the side channels somewhere below 200hz area.
Here is a quick rough example of your mix of what i'm hearing on my monitors with less 70-100 in the centre and less level and low end in the side channels.
wondering how this sounds at your end.

cheers Big Grin
Don

.mp3    Dice Draper..mp3 --  (Download: 2.94 MB)

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Hello Draper

Version 3 definitely the best of the 3

Don's suggestion does make the bass have a bit more definition which would be a good thing. I'm just not sure about the guitars cause they are a bit thin sounding for my taste.

But your mix is good in my opinion Smile. I like the drums and the vocal treatment you did.
Okay, ran a dynamic eq on my master, and I think I finally controlled the low end.

Eh?

Draper

.mp3    THe Dice Conversion 5 dynamic Eq for bass.mp3 --  (Download: 13.82 MB)

Hey obelix, I actually was defending your mix. Sono said there was terrible low end in your mix. And I was trying to say that I didn't think your bass was horrible at all. Sorry for the confusion.