Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lead Inc: 'The Dice'
(23-03-2016, 09:11 AM)fHumble fHingaz Wrote: Great stuff, Don! The vocals are outstanding - superbly handled. The drums and guitars sound excellent to me too.

The only thing I think that could stand some improvement is the bass. On my studio system (with sub), the low end of the bass is overpowering the mix just a bit. It has the effect of making the rest of the mix sound slightly "small" by comparison. I would suggest reining in those sub-bass frequencies around the 40hz mark a bit, and maybe even side-chaining the the bass to be ducked by the kick drum, as the low end of the kick suffers slightly from the "dwarfed by comparison" syndrome...

I'm guessing this is a 5 string/low tuned bass, so sometimes even adding some saturation to goose the harmonics above the fundamental to get the bass more present in the low mids can help in keeping the bass sounding huge without actually stealing all the space in the subs.

Top stuff!
Hi
Thanks for having a listen and kind words,I mixed this on ns10's and krk 6's
without using my krk sub ,as i think my room is not perfect in the deep bottom end ,I turned the sub on in light of your comments and could hear that the sub bass that you have mentioned.
Maybe just have to adjust the cross over frequency and level of the sub .Anyway Uploaded version 2 Eq-ed some low frequencies of the mix rolled off with the sub on so would be great if you could let me know if i have reduced too much or not enough bottom end will help allot in getting the bottom end right , will also have a play around with the side-chaining you mentioned which sounds like a great idea.
Thanks Again Big Grin

.mp3    Lead roll the DiceV2..mp3 --  (Download: 13.94 MB)

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Very nice work, Don. Great, punchy mix. I enjoyed listening, thumbs up here.
Hello Don

You got a good mix here. Pretty solid.

*I like the drum sound. Pretty punchy kick.
*Not my favorite EQ on the bass but it fits well in the mix. Sounds grungy. Smile
*at 3:16 I would have liked that flanger ambience guitar to be more upfront. I can barely hear it. I suppose that's a preference thing.
*Also some more automation on the lower phrases the girl sings at 3:56 Some really need to be turned up.

But this is great man. Good mix.
(23-03-2016, 01:04 PM)mick2015 Wrote: Very nice work, Don. Great, punchy mix. I enjoyed listening, thumbs up here.

Thanks Mick .
Cheers Big Grin

Hey Don - had a listen to the latest mix on my studio system... still sounding great.

I think you could still go further tightening up the low end. I did a quick experiment: I downloaded your mix and ran it through FabFilter's Pro MB Multiband Comp. After sweeping around the lows, I settled on the area from 50-200hz, compressing by a maximum of around 2.5dB, with a medium/fast attack & release. That certainly brought the lows under control, and took some of the "boomyness" out of the low end. The mix also started to fall more in line with commercial references of similar styles.

However, with the lows somewhat subdued, the high mids and highs started to really dominate and became quite strident, so with a high band starting at around 2.7k and going right up to 20k, I compressed very gently for about 0.5dB of GR with a slow attack and medium/fast release. I also pulled about 0.6dB of overall gain out of that area.

I think it is an improvement, but I'm certain that you would get a better result if you attacked at the track level of the mix.

I've attached an sample of the result below as an mp3 and also attached a screenshot of the ProMB settings.

Thumbnail(s)

.mp3    RTD MB Comp.mp3 --  (Download: 3.78 MB)

All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
(22-03-2016, 10:34 PM)AmazingGato Wrote: Nice mix! Big Grin

Thanks AmazingGato.
Cheers Big Grin

(24-03-2016, 10:50 AM)fHumble fHingaz Wrote: Hey Don - had a listen to the latest mix on my studio system... still sounding great.

I think you could still go further tightening up the low end. I did a quick experiment: I downloaded your mix and ran it through FabFilter's Pro MB Multiband Comp. After sweeping around the lows, I settled on the area from 50-200hz, compressing by a maximum of around 2.5dB, with a medium/fast attack & release. That certainly brought the lows under control, and took some of the "boomyness" out of the low end. The mix also started to fall more in line with commercial references of similar styles.

However, with the lows somewhat subdued, the high mids and highs started to really dominate and became quite strident, so with a high band starting at around 2.7k and going right up to 20k, I compressed very gently for about 0.5dB of GR with a slow attack and medium/fast release. I also pulled about 0.6dB of overall gain out of that area.

I think it is an improvement, but I'm certain that you would get a better result if you attacked at the track level of the mix.

I've attached an sample of the result below as an mp3 and also attached a screenshot of the ProMB settings.
Wow great improvement in the overall sound,thanks so much for taking the time to have a play around.
Thats a great help for the next version.

Cheers Big Grin

(24-03-2016, 09:00 AM)Shul Wrote: Hello Don

You got a good mix here. Pretty solid.

*I like the drum sound. Pretty punchy kick.
*Not my favorite EQ on the bass but it fits well in the mix. Sounds grungy. Smile
*at 3:16 I would have liked that flanger ambience guitar to be more upfront. I can barely hear it. I suppose that's a preference thing.
*Also some more automation on the lower phrases the girl sings at 3:56 Some really need to be turned up.

But this is great man. Good mix.
Hi Shul,
Thanks for having a listen and your help,i will add your findings to the list of things to address in the next version.

Cheers Big Grin

Hey Don, I think most of it's been said about your mix, but the low end does sound a bit undefined. I really get a "feel the bass not hear it vibe" from this song, but your bass does sound a bit. . . muddled? I know my mixes were bass heavy (total shock I know) but I feel like it needs that ass to really get me pumped and wanting to move, however apparently it was too much.

I like your overall levels, but your bass does muddle things during the verses.

Keep it up!

Draper
(24-03-2016, 06:19 PM)loweche6 Wrote: Hey Don, I think most of it's been said about your mix, but the low end does sound a bit undefined. I really get a "feel the bass not hear it vibe" from this song, but your bass does sound a bit. . . muddled? I know my mixes were bass heavy (total shock I know) but I feel like it needs that ass to really get me pumped and wanting to move, however apparently it was too much.

I like your overall levels, but your bass does muddle things during the verses.

Keep it up!

Draper
Hey Draper Thanks for having a listen,I will work on the bass in the next version !

Cheers Big Grin