Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
the dice
Here is my mix. hope you like.

Mixed in the box with Studio One 3, waves plugins.

any input??

Sergio

.mp3    the dice.mp3 --  (Download: 13.8 MB)

Hey sergio

Una observaciones en tu mezcla

*La tarola suena muy delgada, necesita un poco mas cuerpo. Yo le bajaria al mic del resorte y dependeria mas del mic de arriba. Tambien ponerle una reverb mas amplia sonaria mejor.
*Las guitarras suenan bien al principio, pero despues de un rato suenan raras. Le pondria mas medios.. oh alomejor le aumentaste mucho a los agudos.
*Me gusta el efecto en el min 0:34. Tambien la voz suena muy bien.
*La voz en el min 1:30 necesita algo de reverb. suena muy seca.

En si la mezcla no suena tan mal. Smile Algunas cosas de las que dije estan en la categoria de gusto asi que ignoralas si no compartes mi opinion.
Gracias por tus observaciones Shul , cuando tenga un tiempito lo corrijo, te mando un abrazo.

Sergio

De donde eres Shul??
Hi Sergio - Good instrumental balances in you mix - all the elements are accounted for. It's a very clean and controlled mix, with a nice tight low end. Good definition and separation of the elements too. I love the fat sounding bass and toms - very nice!

Somewhat at odds with all this is the snare. I haven't heard the raw tracks, but at a guess, it sounds to me like the top and bottom snare mics are out of phase. Generally, you need to flip the polarity on the bottom snare mic, because the sound waves are moving in opposite directions on each respective mic. However, don't just do it as a matter of course, because some engineers flip the polarity during recording. A quick test should make it clear. Whatever position where the snare sounds fattest with both mics combined is the right one. If that isn't the issue, I'm guessing you may need to use less bottom snare in the mix, as the overall sound is at present, very thin and papery, lacking in sustain. Often thin snares benefit from some boosting around the 150-250hz range. Parallel compression can help with the sustain, as well as some plate reverb.

I'm guessing your preference is to mix metal, as the mix has a very "scooped-mid" character to the eq curves across the elements in general. This mix has an element of "progressive rock/metal" to it, so it's not at all inappropriate to approach the mix from that point of view. However, one aspect to be aware of is that a lot of the implied "power" & "rawness" in rock and metal actually comes from the mids. In this case, the guitars have plenty of high mids, but they sound rather lacking in low mids, around the 200-500 hz area.

I think you could definitely let the midrange breathe a little more in this track - it would gain more power as a result. The full lows & very prominent highs tend to make for a very "hi-fi" presentation that sounds a little "constricted". Together with the very tightly controlled dynamics, it lends an almost "polite" air to the proceedings.

The vocals are probably the biggest issue other than the snare. I was finding it very hard to make out the lyrics. Then after listening for a while, I realised the problem was that all the sibilant consonants sound like they are being "swallowed" - Again, I'm not sure if this was a problem with the multi-track, or if you may have gone too far with the de-esser. In the latter case, the fix is simple - just ease up on the de-esser. In the former, it's almost impossible to restore "baked-in" over-de-essing.

Additionally, the vocal kind of "comes and goes" in level. Some phrases and words get a little submerged under the music. I'm thinking the performance may have been overly dynamic. With a big loud rock song like this, you can afford to be pretty brutal with compression on the vocals - sometimes multiple stages of compression and/or fairly detailed volume automation is needed.

As a personal taste thing, I think you could afford to go a little "dirtier" with the mix - adding a bit of grit and saturation would give the track a bit more excitement IMO. I've always liked Forrester Savells mixes with Karnivool as a reference for this type of stuff. Very powerful, but characterful too.

Great to hear your take on this!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Thank you for your concepts is my first mix of this kind of music, this genre is generally not to my liking. So surely I will have many failures in the mix, which already have cleared me on several points.
The snare was well phased, I'm not so stupid as to not realize that you have to offset the microphone down with respect to the above, except that the error was that by making the mix gained a lot the mic volume below the snare.
Regarding the voice I think the sway of the volume is a problem of decision under review. Do not use any deeser, only compression and very little, it may be a problem of eq, maybe.
Regarding the guitars there I have my Achilles heel achievement no longer to find the right point of requiring gender eq so chooses not to play them a lot and try to preserve the original sound and recorded.
I'm going back to look at the mix and try to find the sound that the style requires, if they have any suggestions are welcome.

Sorry for my english, hope you understand me.
(21-03-2016, 02:53 PM)flyrecords Wrote: Thank you for your concepts is my first mix of this kind of music, this genre is generally not to my liking. So surely I will have many failures in the mix, which already have cleared me on several points.
The snare was well phased, I'm not so stupid as to not realize that you have to offset the microphone down with respect to the above, except that the error was that by making the mix gained a lot the mic volume below the snare.
Regarding the voice I think the sway of the volume is a problem of decision under review. Do not use any deeser, only compression and very little, it may be a problem of eq, maybe.
Regarding the guitars there I have my Achilles heel achievement no longer to find the right point of requiring gender eq so chooses not to play them a lot and try to preserve the original sound and recorded.
I'm going back to look at the mix and try to find the sound that the style requires, if they have any suggestions are welcome.

Sorry for my english, hope you understand me.

No problem - I understand the gist of your reply.
...and I'm sorry - I did not mean to suggest you didn't know about the importance of things being in phase. Rather, it was simply the first thing that came to mind when going through my personal "checklist" of possible problem-solvers.

Regarding suggestions for a reference mix: As I said, try anything off the "Sound Awake" album by Karnivool. https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6E86AD3BA50F2620 It's progressive heavy-ish rock with very melodic vocals.
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
(21-03-2016, 12:46 PM)flyrecords Wrote: Gracias por tus observaciones Shul , cuando tenga un tiempito lo corrijo, te mando un abrazo.

Sergio

De donde eres Shul??

De Mexico bro, pero radico en U.S.

ok here's my second try, I'm happy with the result I hope you like and if something wrong with this style please let me know.

regards

.mp3    the dice(2).mp3 --  (Download: 13.8 MB)

Sounds better!

La tarola haora tiene cuerpo.
Se escucha mejor que tu primer version Smile
(22-03-2016, 04:41 AM)flyrecords Wrote: ok here's my second try, I'm happy with the result I hope you like and if something wrong with this style please let me know.

regards

Nice! - the latest mix is a real improvement.