Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Angels in Amplifiers - I'm Alright
This was super fun! Love the Latin feel of this, cool harmonies. Didn't really like that the tracks are as grouped as they are, but hey, not a problem.

My focus on this track was to keep it nice and clean, but still give it a tight, powerful low end to keep the energy. I used as few effects as possible. I didn't automate the rhythm acoustic, but I feel like maybe I should, just to pull it back a bit during the verses. Let's hear your opinions!

Also, FWIW, I listened and made a few changes and then never reevaluated my "mastering" bus plugins, so it could certainly get a bit louder. Not too concerned about that at the moment.

.mp3    Angels in Amplifiers - I\'m Alright MP3.mp3 --  (Download: 6.87 MB)

Adjusted the rhythm acoustic in the intro and also bumped up the overall track level a bit.

.mp3    Angels in Amplifiers - I\'m Alright MP3.mp3 --  (Download: 6.87 MB)

Your tonality is amazing in all your mixes!!! How do you do that? Big Grin

I really like it! No real comments just admiration to express! Smile
Agree with Gkallergis

The tones are very smooth sounding. Good mix.
(21-03-2016, 04:01 AM)Shul Wrote: Agree with Gkallergis

The tones are very smooth sounding. Good mix.

Smooth like silk! Big Grin
Well thanks guys! Glad to hear that you're enjoying my mixes! I'm currently a live Sound Engineer/Technician by trade, though I did go to school for audio production (no, not Full Sail). Since I work in the Live environment right now, I just thought it would be nice to get back into the "studio" vibe for a bit, so I just grabbed a couple sessions and went to town!

Real question if anyone wants to answer, is this mix too bass heavy? I played it yesterday on my parents' floorstanding Polk speakers, and it seemed a bit muddy around 80-100hz, but not sure if it was specifically those freqs or just low end heavy overall. Those speakers have always sounded muddy to me, so it's hard to tell...truth be told, my mixes have always been bass heavy. I blame it on my love for live, and wanting to really feel that powerful bottom end Big Grin

But again, thanks for the positive comments Smile
Cool!!
I think you should start your own instructional video series! I'd be happy to pay for that quality! Big Grin

I kinda like the extra bass! Plus in your case it's not muddiness, everything sounds clear! I should note that my monitors are not famous for their bass response, so maybe I am missing something.

I really can't explain it, but your mixes are pleasant to the ear! I'm really curious why (and how)!!

Thanks for sharing!
Well that's certainly not something that I've thought about, but I wouldn't be opposed! I do have access to some very nice camera gear... Tongue

Well as long as it's not overbearing, good! In my car and on my IEMs it sounds about right. On my monitors it sounds a touch hot, but like you said, in a good way. I currently mix on Event 20/20s which are an 8" near field, so they certainly aren't lacking in bass haha.

I'm glad you feel that way! I'm not doing anything special by any means, all ITB with Reaper. My one bonus is that I have numerous Waves plugins, I like messing with them. And I will say that I've recently started using the C6 Multiband compressor and it is WONDERFUL, I have a hard time keeping myself from putting it on EVERYTHING! Other than that, I couldn't tell ya! Tongue
Great!! I might invest in some waves bundle in the future, they seem quite powerful, but I have to get better first!

So, I'll wait for the "Miller's Silk Mixing Techniques" DVD! Big Grin

Cheers!
(21-03-2016, 05:51 AM)imiller21 Wrote: Well thanks guys! Glad to hear that you're enjoying my mixes! I'm currently a live Sound Engineer/Technician by trade, though I did go to school for audio production (no, not Full Sail). Since I work in the Live environment right now, I just thought it would be nice to get back into the "studio" vibe for a bit, so I just grabbed a couple sessions and went to town!

Real question if anyone wants to answer, is this mix too bass heavy? I played it yesterday on my parents' floorstanding Polk speakers, and it seemed a bit muddy around 80-100hz, but not sure if it was specifically those freqs or just low end heavy overall. Those speakers have always sounded muddy to me, so it's hard to tell...truth be told, my mixes have always been bass heavy. I blame it on my love for live, and wanting to really feel that powerful bottom end Big Grin

But again, thanks for the positive comments Smile

Tough to say if the mix is too bass heavy or a bit light in the high end. Whatever it is it is very close to spot on. I think you could easily address the program tonal balance easily in your mastering process. My ears say it just needs to be a bit crisper, not less bottom-y. That would give everything from the kick all the way up the kit and into the guitars and vocals just the right amount of crisp presence without getting brittle and really make your mix sparkle.

I have heard other mixes done on the Event 20/20s and I really like the results people are getting with them. I keep looking for a used pair on Craigs List.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]