Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Four Graham - Olli H
with just a little of bit of more work on the vocal level, it would improve the song a lot. This one is a very difficult one and I've spent a lot of time trying to fix those big level differences when he's singing. It's a real challenge this one but I like it!!

Just like it's been pointed out before, it's a little bit shiny to me; but probably it's because of the reference you were using. But other than that, I like the mix a lot Smile
mixing since April 2013
I had already decided not to do anything to my first version... But here I ago, I tried to fix some issues that was mentioned in comments.

I touched almost everything, although changes were quite small
More automation to vox
Little less low-end
Dynamic eq to vox
More movement to cymbals
More dirt to guitars

.mp3    four-graham-2016-04-19-Olli-H.mp3 --  (Download: 6.18 MB)

now it's much better. It's a amazing what some little changes can do! Smile
mixing since April 2013
Thanks, now I think it's better spend time with other songs...
Hi olli,
I'm Thinking of having a try of this great song
Listening to your latest version sounds great especially after hearing the raw multi tracks.
I would love to know how you got the drums to sound so punchy especially the kick and snare or what samples used as I like the sound of them.
Well Done Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Hi Don, I’m glad you like the drums

Actually this is not my kind of music, but these multitracks provided an interesting Mission Impossible, so it was fun to mix them.

I don’t have any fancy libraries. I mainly use sounds from old KitCore (49$) and sometimes I take something from Steven Slates Drums custom (39$) that has Deluxe drum kit, with in it. With this case I happened to use also one sample from RealDrumSamples. I paid 1$ for it.

I play all the sounds with Reapers internal sample player.

I’m almost never happy with just one sample. In this case I combined three samples for both kick and snare.

KICK
KitCore - Matt Sorum
KitCore - Louis Conte
Steven Slate - Metal 1

SNARE
KitCore - Matt Sorum
KitCore - Louis Conte
RealDrumSamples

TYpically I use also the kick and snare that’s in the multitracks (so I’m not replacing) and I’m blending those samples in., but in this case I muted them.

Normally I don’t eq at all on the sample level, but on the kick and snare busses I had Code Red Free eq. And then just a little bit of Kotelnikov compressor. + Little bit of parallel compression to both to bring up the natural room in samples. For some reason I try not to use reverbs if not absolutely necessary.
(22-04-2016, 11:53 AM)Olli H Wrote: Hi Don, I’m glad you like the drums

Actually this is not my kind of music, but these multitracks provided an interesting Mission Impossible, so it was fun to mix them.

I don’t have any fancy libraries. I mainly use sounds from old KitCore (49$) and sometimes I take something from Steven Slates Drums custom (39$) that has Deluxe drum kit, with in it. With this case I happened to use also one sample from RealDrumSamples. I paid 1$ for it.

I play all the sounds with Reapers internal sample player.

I’m almost never happy with just one sample. In this case I combined three samples for both kick and snare.

KICK
KitCore - Matt Sorum
KitCore - Louis Conte
Steven Slate - Metal 1

SNARE
KitCore - Matt Sorum
KitCore - Louis Conte
RealDrumSamples

TYpically I use also the kick and snare that’s in the multitracks (so I’m not replacing) and I’m blending those samples in., but in this case I muted them.

Normally I don’t eq at all on the sample level, but on the kick and snare busses I had Code Red Free eq. And then just a little bit of Kotelnikov compressor. + Little bit of parallel compression to both to bring up the natural room in samples. For some reason I try not to use reverbs if not absolutely necessary.
Thanks for the information olli !
will try some more samples in version 2

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(15-03-2016, 03:39 PM)Olli H Wrote: I enjoyed mixing this one. Hopefully it can be also heard in my mix.

Multitracks had some real life challenges, but that's part of the fun: to find ways to fix them.

I tried to make thing loud and raw and natural, but still smooth. My main reference for stylistical choises was Chris Lord-Alge's mix of American Idiot (Green Day)

I really liked your mixing, please review mine and let me know what do you think.

Cheers!!
Only comments I would make here are that the little fills that the guitars do at the transition to the chorus could be brought out a bit more (particularly watch the first few notes since they're played a bit soft). Aside from that, I might boost 125Hz in the bass just a touch (a dB or two) to give it a bit more weight. Otherwise, everything seems to sit well enough.
Old West Audio