Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Four Graham - Olli H
I enjoyed mixing this one. Hopefully it can be also heard in my mix.

Multitracks had some real life challenges, but that's part of the fun: to find ways to fix them.

I tried to make thing loud and raw and natural, but still smooth. My main reference for stylistical choises was Chris Lord-Alge's mix of American Idiot (Green Day)

.mp3    four-graham-2016-03-15-Olli-H.mp3 --  (Download: 6.18 MB)

I read your reply to my post, but I had to reply here first because I also used American Idiot as a reference for this song haha. I thought I was the only person that used it as a punk rock reference. I definitely think it's one of the best for this style of music, and I also occasionally use paramore (the older songs) for references too.

I think you did a great job on this mix. It's definitely closer to American Idiot than my mix! I can't really hear anything that I dislike. If I had to suggest something, it might be to make the toms a little punchier like your snare. Nice job though because it sounds great.
Well, I used Green Day, too Big Grin But I am still tweaking the mix, the vocals are pretty challening.

Some tips:

1. You're mix feels pretty dry. Especially the snare and the vocals. Some reverb and delay would help your mix.

2. Your taste might be different than mine, but I think your vocal/snare balance isn't that optimal. Maybe turn the snare a bit down and the vocals up.

3. You should definitely automate the vocal. Sometimes it gets very quiet.
Thanks for listening

(18-03-2016, 05:14 PM)J.D.Redbeard Wrote: 1. You're mix feels pretty dry. Especially the snare and the vocals. Some reverb and delay would help your mix.
It's dry, but I happen to have my dry days now, so it turned out this way this time.

(18-03-2016, 05:14 PM)J.D.Redbeard Wrote: 2. Your taste might be different than mine, but I think your vocal/snare balance isn't that optimal. Maybe turn the snare a bit down and the vocals up.
Probably true. I did many quick automations to drums, so I guess that the balances are bit different in each part. Sometimes better, sometimes worse.

(18-03-2016, 05:14 PM)J.D.Redbeard Wrote: 3. You should definitely automate the vocal. Sometimes it gets very quiet.
That's very true. I should have also used more eq automation on it, for the sound of vocalist changes too much. Maybe different takes in different days caused that.

Love this mix Olli!

I'm half way through my own rough mix and virtually abandoned it ..... original vox tracks are .....i cant think of a polite description....difficult to pull together

Having listened to your version i feel inspired again!

Cheers, Simon
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
Thanks
I'll certainly will comment your mix when it comes here, if I only happen to notice it.
hi bro, looks like we have the same CLA style to aprroach our mixes Smile
so anyway i think your mix need more guitarss, i can only feel the guitar groove up untill around 0:36 and from there its like the guitarist is a shy guy playing behind the drummer in a concert Smile . its kinda hard to bring up the guitars up so its doesnt eat up the vocal area maybe sidechaining and automate it sometimes work. anyways nice aproach for CLA style , cheers bro good work
Like it! Love how it goes into to the pre-chorus bit
Hi !

My main concern here is the drums/bass placement. They need a lot of edition to match the grid better.
Otherwise, drums and bass are too much loud. Vocals are too much behind the band.
Overall EQ is a bit shiny to my taste, but as your reference was made in the years of loudness, I guess it may explain why.

Hey olli

*I agree there is quite some low end build up in your mix. I would keep that bass on check.
*vocal has a nasty freq. Resonating at around 1khz.
*balance is good.
*separation is good.

Overall good mix. Good job.