Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hollow Ground: 'Left Blind'
Hi, Guys! I'm from brazil, so sorry for my english, but i will show my mixes and masters here.

Mix with: Wave plugins and guitar reamp with amplitube 3 (Mesa boogie -Dual Rect simulation w/ tubescreamer simulation)

Master With: T-racks Plugins, Kramer master tape (Waves) and L316 limiter (waves)

i hope you enjoy.
https://soundcloud.com/thiago-freitas-13...ash-master

.mp3    Hollow Ground - Left Blind (Master).mp3 --  (Download: 2.35 MB)

Hola Thiagolend

Just a few observations that I'd like to point out. I believe this will make your mix better.

1. The toms are hard panned to left and right. they feel odd in the mix. I believe if you were to use less panning the drums would sound bigger and fuller.

2. The guitars have too much highs. Maybe in the 2khz-6khz area. You might want to cut some of those frequencies because harsh sounding guitars are very tiring to the ear.

3. Overall the mix is missing some low end. Boost a few low freq in the bass or kick and in the guitars if you want. Low end gives a more powerful sound.

All in all this is not bad at all. Just a few tweaks that I would suggest to make it sound better.

Smile Saludos!
Hi, Shul

Thanks for your comment.

"1. The toms are hard panned to left and right. they feel odd in the mix. I believe if you were to use less panning the drums would sound bigger and fuller."

I do that because in this way i not a have competition with the voice channel, and in my opinion the kit drums sounds more bigger.

"2. The guitars have too much highs. Maybe in the 2khz-6khz area. You might want to cut some of those frequencies because harsh sounding guitars are very tiring to the ear."

When i change for mp3 format i really feel that too, and i will try to improve in the next mix.

Ps: Sorry for my english!

Hi there, I agree at some points with Shul:
Mainly point 1 and 3. I like how the guitars sound, yes could be a bit more low end, but whatever, i like this sound...althought of course it's tiring if u listen to 30 mins of this hahaha.

What you say bout the toms doesnt have any sense. Of course some panning gets a nice stereo fx but if they are too far away just seems two diferent elements that are not connected...if u listen to a drum live, being just in front of it you dont listen one tom on right ear and one on your left...Doesnt make sense either because it doesnt fight with the voice, u add definition to a drum from 3Khz upper, and the lower goes from 300-ish down...so you have exactly the spectrum in wich the voice works...No excuses here.

Also ur snare doesnt quite convince me...it's like played from the back of a cave and a bit too tough on the high end

And yeah, the mp3 is awful heheh..What did u use to convert it??...It's a shame because it's hard to judge ur work as its totally fucked up by the poor quality :/