Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Much to much V2
Nice! That's a much better balance.
Might want to bring the sax's up a little ( a little more forward), they seem just a tad buried in spots, mostly in comparison to the horns. But they stay behind the vocal well. Those horns sound big! I like the vocal sound as well. Pretty cool man!

Just listened to your version 2, hasnt heard the first one yet. To my ears the vocals are still a bit upfront and the bass jumps out some places. In the scat part the vocals are perfect ! Like the sound of the horns a lot. Its a good mix, but man it sounds like youre havin a hard time gettin it where you want it. When I have that problem I give it a day or a week or more and redo it with fresh ears. But eh, most of the time I do, sometimes i just do it over and over and gets lost ...
Like the horns a lot - all these songs i wanna mix :-)
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(24-07-2013, 03:48 PM)jayb6120 Wrote: Nice! That's a much better balance.
Might want to bring the sax's up a little ( a little more forward), they seem just a tad buried in spots, mostly in comparison to the horns. But they stay behind the vocal well. Those horns sound big! I like the vocal sound as well. Pretty cool man!

Thanks for having another listen !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(24-07-2013, 05:49 PM)Voelund Wrote: Just listened to your version 2, hasnt heard the first one yet. To my ears the vocals are still a bit upfront and the bass jumps out some places. In the scat part the vocals are perfect ! Like the sound of the horns a lot. Its a good mix, but man it sounds like youre havin a hard time gettin it where you want it. When I have that problem I give it a day or a week or more and redo it with fresh ears. But eh, most of the time I do, sometimes i just do it over and over and gets lost ...
Like the horns a lot - all these songs i wanna mix :-)

Thanks for having a listen and will come back to it another day before It sends me mad lol !

Man, I tried this one, too, and containing the dynamics enough to even it out is touuuuuugh, and you've done that quite nicely. my difficulty has been getting the bleed out without ruining the principal sounds. whenever I try to tighten things up by compressing and increasing volume, the bleed comes up, too, and the cumulative effect undoes all of my progress! can't get it loud enough to keep the quiets from disappearing without clipping the heck out of the wind section bursts. so I wind up with a heavily compressed sound that still clips :-p. how'd you clear the bleed out? I tried high pass, dips, and gating but nothing quite does the trick, even using the room mic as the basis for the mix with balancing support from the close mics doesn't cut the mustard.

how'd you do it, man? super impressed!
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
(29-12-2013, 01:38 AM)pauli Wrote: Man, I tried this one, too, and containing the dynamics enough to even it out is touuuuuugh, and you've done that quite nicely. my difficulty has been getting the bleed out without ruining the principal sounds. whenever I try to tighten things up by compressing and increasing volume, the bleed comes up, too, and the cumulative effect undoes all of my progress! can't get it loud enough to keep the quiets from disappearing without clipping the heck out of the wind section bursts. so I wind up with a heavily compressed sound that still clips :-p. how'd you clear the bleed out? I tried high pass, dips, and gating but nothing quite does the trick, even using the room mic as the basis for the mix with balancing support from the close mics doesn't cut the mustard.

how'd you do it, man? super impressed!

Thanks for having a listen and kind words !
Mixed this a while ago don't think I used much compression but I did use the room mics as a base and added the other instruments to that. I think I used multiband compression and harmonic exciters on the instruments but it was all trial and error ,I will open up the multi tracks and have a look and let you know Big Grin !

Yeah, I'd appreciate it. I'm going to take a fresh look at my own mix, see if I can improve it any and post it myself to attract some beatings and maybe learn something along the way Tongue
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!