Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Human Radio - You And Me And The Radio (M&F)
Picked up Waves NX today and was eager to test it out, so I picked this song to mix through it. Normally I would do a mastering pass before posting but I am very happy with my results from NX I am posting the mix pass only. I highly recommend Waves NX for people who use headphones in their process.. I used my HD650s with NX then did real room review on HS7.

This mix is a general version to evaluate my results from using NX, it will be used from now on with everything I mix Smile

Update: This was one of the songs I tried out SSL X-Saturator with and didn't like the results on this song. Also tested out LANDR with the previous version but determined it's going to be a while before an automation can replace manual mastering.. So I recalled and used my XQR mix/master process for the final version. Note: the MP3 is at an optimal level for forum playback as I realized listeners are not reviewing the 24-bit link on initial listenings.

Source file for reference, right click and "Save File As" (please use BitPerfect from the Mac App Store for iTunes for Mac for bit-to-bit intended playback).

.mp3    You Me And The Radio XQR.mp3 --  (Download: 11.05 MB)

M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
Decent mix but too much top end for my tastes. YMMV, of course.
Old West Audio
(31-01-2016, 05:03 AM)azwayne Wrote: Decent mix but too much top end for my tastes. YMMV, of course.

Im listening now on a Macbook while on a trip and you're right.... too much on top, I will recall this when I get back to the station... thanks.

This is the second song I tried out the SSL X-Saturator, while trying it on a third, I had to go back to another formula because it wasn't happening, so I think I'm not going to use X-Saturator no more..

For this song version I didn't do any warming and will also apply that (Studer A800 plug) and go back to the Console 1.. I expect that will smooth out the top to where I hear it could be in my mind..
(31-01-2016, 05:03 AM)azwayne Wrote: Decent mix but too much top end for my tastes. YMMV, of course.

Posted a recall in the first post.. thanks again for the comment.
I don't know what you hear but do you realize your snare has more bottom than your kick.
its all ear splitting high end there is no bottom at all in your mix.
I really don't understand how you cant hear it.
This is feedback so don't be offended or take it personal
I like what you did with the voice, the guitar and bass. I do agree with the rest of the comments of it being bright or with no low end.. But I think all that is just in your drums. What you did with the kick toms and snare makes the rest sound too bright.

It may be the sound you are looking for in drums but for my taste the drums are too compressed or you are eq'ing after compression or something which is making the low end of it squashed and the high end too sparkly.

A part from the drums I like what you did.
Sometimes making everything too bright isn't good. You need a solind bottom and drums play a great part.
* that tambouring threw me off with its out of tempo. A bit distracting when is that up front.
the drums are bussed with an 1176AE limiter and no compression applied.. I'm not a fan of compression on nuanced tracks because I like the sense of dynamics.. But a limiter in place to make the dynamics in the drum mix audible no matter what happens in the course of the song.

The drums here are mixed where the kick top works under the bass gtr.. Rock kick is not bottom heavy but should be punchy and audible in a mix of heavy rock gtrs and bass..

The tam is placed out.. Like a tam when you sit and listen to a live band perform..

Im satisfied with the bass response in this mastered version. I've listened in various playback environments and satisfied..

This song reminds me of a Wingspan tune.. I mixed it with that in mind.. Here is a good reference to an album with no mastering from Wingspan: http://www.hdtracks.com/band-on-the-run-...compressed - it's a great engineering treat to listen to..

I'm sorry but I think there's just no helping you.
(06-02-2016, 05:46 AM)takka360 Wrote: I'm sorry but I think there's just no helping you.

The guy who taught me won 7 Grammys... The only reason why I didn't follow him was that I left engineering because I invented a technology (That everyone today uses) and was able to retire.. I got bored so I'm doing what I love again.. And sharpening back into pro audio.. I'm confident in my ear.. Not perfect.. But confident Smile

I hear your comments and they're accurate.. It's just that what you guys are saying is the results I wanted on this one.
Some expensive stuff you have lol

Question: you said you used the limiter on the drum bus... That means overall you used MORE limiting on the master?

Trying to identify why the drums sound like that. Limiting kills dynamics.. I know so cause when I over do it in mastering my mix sounds squashed.

I believe if you are limiting on top of more limiting you are somehow compresing.
Correct me if I'm wrong.