Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
I'm Alright- Mixed&Mastered by SHUL
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and I'm looking forward to improving my mixing skills.

UPDATE:!! I'm so happy that I finally got it to sound with good Volume.

Big GrinCoolCool

Drop a Comment and Let me know what you think!

.mp3    I\'m Alright-Mixed by Shul.mp3 --  (Download: 6.87 MB)

Hi Shul, good job on mixing this. I'm also new to mixing so please take my comments with a pinch of salt. I had a listen and I thought there was too much reverb on the mix in general and that the vocals disappeared a bit, especially the backing vocals. There also seemed to be a glitch of some sort at about 0:34. Not sure what caused it? When I mixed this song I also took out the "noise" on the overhead drums at this point but it sounded to me like you joined tracks and it didn't line up properly??

Please have a listen to my mix as well, I would appreciate your honest feedback as well.

Thanks!
(10-01-2016, 10:17 AM)cipher Wrote: Hi Shul, good job on mixing this. I'm also new to mixing so please take my comments with a pinch of salt. I had a listen and I thought there was too much reverb on the mix in general and that the vocals disappeared a bit, especially the backing vocals. There also seemed to be a glitch of some sort at about 0:34. Not sure what caused it? When I mixed this song I also took out the "noise" on the overhead drums at this point but it sounded to me like you joined tracks and it didn't line up properly??

Please have a listen to my mix as well, I would appreciate your honest feedback as well.

Thanks!
Hello there thank you for the feedback!!!

You are right, I was debating wether I should lower the reverb. I should have. The glitch you heard was a poor automation on that stop. I didn't fade out fade in correctly. I will fix that. Also I will polish all the song with automation here and there to fix the lack of voice and other things.

Thank you, I will check your out and tell you what I think. ☺☺
(10-01-2016, 10:17 AM)cipher Wrote: Hi Shul, good job on mixing this. I'm also new to mixing so please take my comments with a pinch of salt. I had a listen and I thought there was too much reverb on the mix in general and that the vocals disappeared a bit, especially the backing vocals. There also seemed to be a glitch of some sort at about 0:34. Not sure what caused it? When I mixed this song I also took out the "noise" on the overhead drums at this point but it sounded to me like you joined tracks and it didn't line up properly??

Thanks!

Check it out man!!! I got a loud Volume!! what do you think..
(10-01-2016, 09:16 AM)Shul Wrote: Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and I'm looking forward to improving my mixing skills.

UPDATE:!! I'm so happy that I finally got it to sound with good Volume.

Big GrinCoolCool

Drop a Comment and Let me know what you think!

You got a strong volume, congrats. Now that you got a strong volume, determine how you want to use it to deliver your vision of "impact".
M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
(13-01-2016, 02:50 PM)Digitaldruglord Wrote: You got a strong volume, congrats. Now that you got a strong volume, determine how you want to use it to deliver your vision of "impact".

Thanks man! Well my vision would be clarity in the most solid way possible(depending on song). Sometimes is really hard to deal with songs that seem to have something missing and lack musically but ultimately that's my vision of a mix.
Nice mix man! I like the panning decisions you made. I'd maybe turn down the vocal a bit and add a couple of dbs of low end to the kick.
(27-01-2016, 09:47 PM)FlamingBeatz Wrote: Nice mix man! I like the panning decisions you made. I'd maybe turn down the vocal a bit and add a couple of dbs of low end to the kick.

Thanks! Yeah I just felt the voice was very important in the mix so I turned if up he he. About the kick it was giving me problems on low end with bass.. So I thinned it out a bit. Thanks for the feedback!!
Overall Instrument Balance is good, better than my version but i notice that frequency not so much, because in your mix is too much high frequency, or Low frequency problem, like not smooth high frequency. Check your mix with Reference Mix and you will hear what i mean..
(31-01-2016, 11:16 PM)almix Wrote: Overall Instrument Balance is good, better than my version but i notice that frequency not so much, because in your mix is too much high frequency, or Low frequency problem, like not smooth high frequency. Check your mix with Reference Mix and you will hear what i mean..

I'm not sure what you mean by low frequency problem. I did use a shelf eq on the 8khz and above to boost. It was meant to add sparkle to the whole mix.
I did go easy on lows, maybe that's what you are not hearing in comparison with the reference mix?