Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Angels In Amplifiers - I'm Alright (mix)
Mix only version

.m4a    Im Alright b.m4a --  (Download: 5.6 MB)

M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
Hello there. The levels on the mix seem fine however your audio is clipping. If you were to remove this you would have a good mix.
(10-01-2016, 09:00 AM)Shul Wrote: Hello there. The levels on the mix seem fine however your audio is clipping. If you were to remove this you would have a good mix.

+1 The track clips pretty hard throughout. Peaks are hitting +1.3db.

It's pretty heavy on the 'verb, especially on the acoustic track. It *really* stands out in the intro section such that it almost sounds like a flanger effect. Try shorter reverbs/smaller room settings, and keep the verb mostly in the sides.

The first break is saturated with reverb tails.

It's super-simple, but I think it's a killer bass line, and it's a bit buried here. There are some important bass riffs from 2:03 to 2:15 and they're barely audible.

I'd trim the high end a bit.

(12-01-2016, 07:25 AM)ulynch Wrote:
(10-01-2016, 09:00 AM)Shul Wrote: Hello there. The levels on the mix seem fine however your audio is clipping. If you were to remove this you would have a good mix.

+1 The track clips pretty hard throughout. Peaks are hitting +1.3db.

It's pretty heavy on the 'verb, especially on the acoustic track. It *really* stands out in the intro section such that it almost sounds like a flanger effect. Try shorter reverbs/smaller room settings, and keep the verb mostly in the sides.

The first break is saturated with reverb tails.

It's super-simple, but I think it's a killer bass line, and it's a bit buried here. There are some important bass riffs from 2:03 to 2:15 and they're barely audible.

I'd trim the high end a bit.

There are no reverbs on my guitars here...

Commercial releases are not playing by this rule.
(12-01-2016, 07:38 AM)Digitaldruglord Wrote: There are no reverbs on my guitars here...

What's the wonky sound on the acoustic? Some effect?
(12-01-2016, 07:44 AM)Digitaldruglord Wrote: Commercial releases are not playing by this rule.

Commercial releases don't peak at +1.3db.

But there's more to it than that. Check out Adee's mix. It's peaking at +1.6db and there's no obvious clipping.
(12-01-2016, 08:06 AM)ulynch Wrote:
(12-01-2016, 07:38 AM)Digitaldruglord Wrote: There are no reverbs on my guitars here...

What's the wonky sound on the acoustic? Some effect?

Its called micro shift, with a bit of delay for a power effect on drops. I heard your mix of this song... You should be mindful of using words like "wonky" when there isn't much else you've posted to hear.
(12-01-2016, 08:07 AM)ulynch Wrote:
(12-01-2016, 07:44 AM)Digitaldruglord Wrote: Commercial releases are not playing by this rule.

But there's more to it than that. Check out Adee's mix. It's peaking at +1.6db and there's no obvious clipping.

I welcome you to explore the gamut of posting I've done and listen to the full 24-bit master wav files posted with each, pro audio is not something you should make such judgments on by way of mp3 files.
(12-01-2016, 08:07 AM)ulynch Wrote:

I like your mix of this song, my mix style goes for aggressive, power sound, exploring max loudness before distortion with a sense of dynamics retained.

I believe there's no 1 way to work with mixes, each guy develops his own way of doing things, that's the beauty of pro audio. Everyday listeners don't know how to define the technicalities of peak dbs and even know what a delay, or verb is, all they determine is if it sounds good or not. I try to stay in the focus of the result the end listener will respond to.