Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
I'm Alright mix
Hello there Ulynch!

I like the very first version better. On the new one the snare sounds too compressed.
Also most of the song sounds a bit foggy.. did you only use one room reverb for all the tracks? It sounds like you put reverb on single tracks and then sent all tracks for more reverb on a bus. I could be wrong but I believe this is the cause of the fogginess(not clear) of the sound.
(26-01-2016, 04:58 AM)Shul Wrote: I like the very first version better. On the new one the snare sounds too compressed.

It was a bit of an experiment. It ended up exactly where I wanted it, but you're right, it's probably not the best choice for this song. I listen to a lot of heavy music, and it would be more appropriate in that context.

(26-01-2016, 04:58 AM)Shul Wrote: Also most of the song sounds a bit foggy.. did you only use one room reverb for all the tracks? It sounds like you put reverb on single tracks and then sent all tracks for more reverb on a bus. I could be wrong but I believe this is the cause of the fogginess(not clear) of the sound.

The tracks that got their own reverb didn't also go to the room. I did send the vocal delays to the vocal's reverb, but mostly because I didn't want them too prominent and up-front. I tried to keep all my 'verbs to less than a second decay, and high-passed too. I suspect I may have been a little heavy handed with one plug-in (Amplio) on too many tracks. I like it in isolation, but in the full mix, I think it adds to that "fogginess". Here I used it on bass just for the saturation, and the acoustic rhythm track, one rhythm guitar, and the backing vox to place them further back in the mix.

I'll blame it on the head cold mostly though :-)
(26-01-2016, 08:33 AM)ulynch Wrote: It was a bit of an experiment. It ended up exactly where I wanted it, but you're right, it's probably not the best choice for this song. I listen to a lot of heavy music, and it would be more appropriate in that context.

The tracks that got their own reverb didn't also go to the room. I did send the vocal delays to the vocal's reverb, but mostly because I didn't want them too prominent and up-front. I tried to keep all my 'verbs to less than a second decay, and high-passed too. I suspect I may have been a little heavy handed with one plug-in (Amplio) on too many tracks. I like it in isolation, but in the full mix, I think it adds to that "fogginess". Here I used it on bass just for the saturation, and the acoustic rhythm track, one rhythm guitar, and the backing vox to place them further back in the mix.

I'll blame it on the head cold mostly though :-)

Yeah I too would put a snare like that on a heavy rock or metal song

It could be the plugin.. Way to find out is by bypassing it.. But if this is the coold u wanted is cool
Hey Ulynch,

I'll share my thoughts on the last verion you posted.

-In the very beginning the kick sounds a bit funny to me, kind of boomy and ''smiley eq''ish.
-The snare might be compressed to much, only the attack is coming trough.
-The vocal lacks the mid ''body'' somewhere between 300 and 800hz.
-Maybe low cut the electric guitar, at 54 sec you can hear alot of low end rumble.
-There is slightlly too much delay troughout the track which is a bit distracting

Hope it's helpful!

-Jeroen

Edit: I just ook a listen to the first version, that one sounds alot better to me. Basically none of the things I mentioned apply to that one.
(27-01-2016, 09:37 PM)FlamingBeatz Wrote: Hey Ulynch,

I'll share my thoughts on the last verion you posted.

-In the very beginning the kick sounds a bit funny to me, kind of boomy and ''smiley eq''ish.
-The snare might be compressed to much, only the attack is coming trough.
-The vocal lacks the mid ''body'' somewhere between 300 and 800hz.
-Maybe low cut the electric guitar, at 54 sec you can hear alot of low end rumble.
-There is slightlly too much delay troughout the track which is a bit distracting

Hope it's helpful!

-Jeroen

Edit: I just ook a listen to the first version, that one sounds alot better to me. Basically none of the things I mentioned apply to that one.

So I tore down this most recent mix, and the "fogginess" Shul heard was an effect on the acoustic rhythm guitar track. It's Vacuumsound's Automatic Double Tracker. I had the wow and flutter up too high, and the dry level too low. Made for some weird resonant, almost chorus effect in the sides. Undecided

The snare isn't so terribly compressed. I'm taking about 7db off the peaks with a 10ms attack. Yeah, it's compressed, but mostly I think it's the gated reverb that's mixed in. It was an experiment Big Grin

Not sure about the kick. I'm adding a bunch at 50Hz, but with a pretty steep high pass at 40. No reverb on it. I'm not hearing boomy. I like it. So there. Tongue

As for the vox ... funny you should mention that. There's about a 3db cut at 200hz in the mastering EQ. It helps with the clarity of the guitars, but without it, the vocals do fill out a bit. Thanks. And yeah, the long delay on the lead vocal is distracting. I had to try it though, if only to figure out how to duck it during the vocal phrases.

The recording is so clean, this is a great song for experimenting on. So ... I made some changes. Here's another, mixdown only, no mastering limiter, but a touch of compression on the 2 buss ...

.mp3    Drum practice_ I\'m Alright_mixdown4.mp3 --  (Download: 4.06 MB)

The acoustic guitar sounds cleaner.. However i the fx on the voice and snare sounds like It could use more dry signal. But is always good to experiment!! Smile