I speak 3 rusian words. Njet, da, vodka
So it must be luck Big Grin
Seems all I know is the retro sound.
You mix in all sorts of genres.

I just come in now and then to relax.

Olli: cudos for hearing the chorus on delay. I firgot to mention
From talk long ago I remember you had problems defining modulation efx
That improved it seems Big Grin
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
especially the third one is helpful in those cold Russian nights hahaha!!! Big Grin
mixing since April 2013
(26-05-2015, 01:39 PM)Voelund Wrote: Gave vox more power and automated a great lot more the gtrs and drums.
Borrowed an idea with long delay in chorus and gave choruses a subtle lowend enchantment, never experimented with that before.
To please my good friend Olli i gave the vocal delay in chorus extra width Big Grin
I like the changes

nice delay.. what a unique idea. wonder where it came from...
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. ~ E.K.
No you dont. You know I borrowed it from you Big Grin
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(26-05-2015, 07:32 AM)Voelund Wrote: A mono Spector mix of this one. Why didnt I think of that
The thing about ultra wide is I cant make it work in mono too

mix it in mono and EQ the problem spots for clarity while being aware that you're going to lose 3dB on the wide stuff in mono. then sit back and bask in the glory. i've got some early'ish Tom Jones stuff, which epitomises LCR to the point of perfection.

auditioned the first mix. i wouldn't have said it was lightly mastered....perhaps you meant "lightly" compared to more traditional expectations? i'd have said this was "about right". the mp3 was clipping +0.2 on the meter though. and while reading the posts, noted you'd done another....and i pulled that one too:

i love your treatment of the instruments.....you give them a nice form of energy which is very engaging.

i found the treble difficult to endure, the vocal aux processes/fx toys are the guilty culprits in exaggerating the sibilance. i'm feeling it too.

another left handed drummer. perhaps i need to watch music videos to have drums from the listener's perspective..it seems like everyone is doing it from the drum stool these days. if you ask me, it's baaaaaaad news.....but the mother-in-law won't notice it...even if it's the wrong way round in the video! lol

the song for me would have been a richer, more engaging experience with the guitars Haased. the sound stage was disconcerting without the binaural experience, not helped in this song when the spectral differences between the two channels aren't supportive when one instrument is playing a different register. in a way, it can be fatiguing in the cans too....and many wear cans these days. because of the feeling of dominance off the sides here, it felt like the bass and kick didn't quite give the shove and push in the groove as one might expect, with the role feeling like it had been passed to the guitars in a way....

.....and that kinda had me wondering out of interest what pan law you work with?

i'm wondering, given the level of the guitars down the sides, if there's still room to give the vocal a little more presence here? it's down to taste i guess, but given the genre i'd have expected it to be less behind the guitars? did you pull the mid down during mastering perhaps? but the snare isn't down which suggests that you didn't.

neat arrangement with the vocal delays eg 4:19 where the delay drops in anticipation of the lead vocal. i love that sort of attention to detail. interesting EQ change at 1:50 too. you've had some fun with this indeed!

nice song, not that i understand a word of it! but your mix has got me interested in pulling this one and having a smash at it. thanks for posting it up for us to audition.
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!