Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Kak Tvoi Dela, Vova? - Voelund
What a pleasant surprise. Excellent musicianship, very well recorded and inspiring to work with.
Had fun mixin this one.
Used mute button a bit and copied a couple o sections to strengthen chorus and guitar riff.
lightly mastered

.mp3    Kak tvoi dela, vova ? 04 li.mp3 --  (Download: 12.05 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order

I think it’s coherent and balanced interpretation. Very good as such.

I haven’t tried this one, so I’m not able to listen your production decisions. Must have been natural as the mix felt natural

Personnally I think that this song / band could benefit of slightly more modern sound, a little bit more separatio, widenessn and articulation in top end. But who am I to say anything, as I don’t belong to target audience of this band.
Thank you Olli. You gotta give it a try. Not sure I agree about wide modern sound, the band is a hybrid of Classic jazzy piano 70s Lead guitar bluesy songwriting with a jazzy touch and the russian language. I find it extremely charming and couldnt but leave my oldfashioned tonal print on Them. A version 2 is under Way. Subtile but important changes as ducking evry 2nd snare beat in OH and snare/kick in selekter sections. Adding a sample in chorus. Turning couple snare hits up a lot. Given rhythm gtr more hi mid and volume
Vocal up in chorus.
Thx for replyin. I look forward to your version.
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
ok, I'll try. Let's see if I found myself from mono 50's or ultrawidened phasey 2000's. Smile
A mono Spector mix of this one. Why didnt I think of that
The thing about ultra wide is I cant make it work in mono too
Listening on headphones ,I Like the punch of your mix ,maybe another db on the vocals would be great, sounds a little soft after the big intro Big Grin.

Good job !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Thx Don, a new version is cooking with more lvl vox. And more Big Grin
Gave vox more power and automated a great lot more the gtrs and drums.
Borrowed an idea with long delay in chorus and gave choruses a subtle lowend enchantment, never experimented with that before.
To please my good friend Olli i gave the vocal delay in chorus extra width Big Grin
I like the changes

.mp3    Kak tvoi dela. voba ? 06 li.mp3 --  (Download: 11.45 MB)

I just started mixing this. Now I can hear some of your mute solutions. I think I might steal some of them.

Thank you for the chorus delay. (I wonder if it's just a little bit too strong)

I like those "vola vola" echoes, whatever they mean. I will be having hard time to achieve your quality in this mix. But I'll try my best.
I like the second version better. In both versions you've given it a retro sound quite appealing (something I still have to learn how to do it). I also like the Vova delays. I don't know if you can speak any Russian, but you did choose the right words for that effect, so Russian speaking listener will be pleased because you underlined the words 'dear' and 'my friend' along with the name of that guy Smile
mixing since April 2013