Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Drag - HB Mix
that's much better...the vocal's timbre is far more stable now.

many vocals arrive over backed in the multis. i put it down to a poor monitoring environment which prevents the recorders from hearing the compressor until it's being pushed too hard, and ignorance of what they should be looking out for sonically while making adjustments, of course. importantly, with 144dB of dynamic range available in the 24 bit domain, compression should only be needed as a belt and braces thing anyway, just to minimise the risk of clipping - most of the time it shouldn't be working. another problem is that all low-budget compressors leave their own colouration signature and are far from transparent. but that point is also relevant to all elements in the signal chain.

if we then try to apply EQ to such [over compressed] material to address an issue, when the vocal enters the frequency range where the static adjustment was made, it alters the timbre of the vocal in quite a marked way. it's these changes we need to look out for. the trouble is, when you do tune your ears into that distortion, you'll hear it almost every time you try and alter a poorly tracked vocal. sometimes i just want to cry.

in the words of the unknown mixing engineer...."If you try to polish a turd, all you'll end up with is a shiny turd". it's so relevant but often overlooked in the forum when we peeps cast our feedback Big Grin

is there a timing issue with something during the intro between 0:07 and 0:12?

...i'd warm up the side channel a little on the master though; it's a bit on the harsh side for my ears Big Grin
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
A friend recently asked me to take a look at his multi to figure out why the mix was perplexing him so much... He couldn't do much as rough in a static balance without stacking inserts on the vocal track. I don't encounter that very often, even here on the forum, but I listened through the vocal and the tonality was all over the place.. Lol, worse than I was prepared for.

Turns out the silly kid comped his vocal from takes recorded weeks apart... With 3 different mics!

After that, over compressed vocals don't bother me like they should Big Grin :p
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!