Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Drag - HB Mix
Another great song from this band.....love mixing their work. As ever though, lots of challenges.
______________________________________________________________________________________

new version, 1.2. uploaded below. A few mods here and there - mainly vox

.mp3    Drag_HB Mix 1.1 Master.mp3 --  (Download: 10.6 MB)

Good job!! I really like ur acoustic guitar and the mastering!
(25-05-2015, 01:20 PM)Peng Huang Wrote: Good job!! I really like ur acoustic guitar and the mastering!
Hi....Thanks for listening and for your comments. I'm glad that you liked it Big Grin .
Good mix ! How did you get the drums to sound this good ? Only thing I would complain about is too much of 2kHz and 400 Hz on main vocal .
(25-05-2015, 01:53 PM)Obelix Wrote: Good mix ! How did you get the drums to sound this good ? Only thing I would complain about is too much of 2kHz and 400 Hz on main vocal .

Hi Obelix..Thanks for listening. Glad you liked the drums. Lots of little EQ moves with layers of different plug-ins - mainly on the drum buss but also shaping kick and snare individually. There's a fair bit of dynamic work on OH/Rooms both compression and EQ followed by automating levels. Also added a smidge of saturation and compression to drum buss
Hi Hbguitar very nice mix soft and smooth apart from one thing! vocals, I agree with Obelix on that one, apart from that it's good, well done.
Hey Cudjoe. Thx for listening and for your comments. I haven't added aesthetic EQ to vocals so I'll dive back in and see what could be affecting them. cheers
Don't worry, the vocals were a bitch for me too. There are all kinds of resonant frequencies happening in the main vox. Your drums do sound quite good, as well as your bass. What I ended up doing on the vox was eqing the crap out of them, parallel compression the hell out of them, as well as tucking back in the non eq'ed vocal underneath the one that is so eq'ed that is sounds painfully thin, and sending it to the parallel compressed channel as well. It doesn't totally fix them, but it definitely takes a lot of the "blanket" out of them. The guitar fx section, try fading in the the "pure tone" guitar, instead of having it pop in. Overall, your balances are really good on this end.

Cheers!
Draper
Hey Draper, thx for dropping by.

Yup.... Vocal resonance... I had 4 notches for resonance between 150-400 hz which, as you say, thins out the tone. So I added back a couple Db broad boost across the low mids to compensate and warm back up. I often parallel compress and tuck back in too. In this case though, my choice of compressor was adding a harshness to the mid range so I left it off. I purposely didn't add any 2 or 4-5 kHz as the singer has such a nice warm tone to her voice - another reason why I avoided using DT too... It can get a bit comb filtering sounding which can sound harsh/nasally

Anyway, I'll have a poke about- see what I can find

Cheers, Simon

[Image: Vox%20track%20processing_zpsgtslorxz.png]

my vocal processing, plus an eventide ultrachannel, haha