Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Drag - HB Mix
(27-05-2015, 04:33 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: Vocal resonance... I had 4 notches for resonance between 150-400 hz

hahahahahhaah! no wonder it sounds crap. multiband compression will sort that out. just run the band you need for the job, and nail it dynamically. this way, you get to keep the timbre and don't have to start boosting or cutting things in other places to try and address it, which will never work in a million years.

you could also bring in the last band of the multi to help control the sibilance?

multiband compressors can be the kiss of death if we don't handle them with love and care but the more you practise with them, the more they will come to your aid during a crisis like this one. fundamentally crucial, you need to make sure the multiband has a reputation for transparency (a Mastering grade unit would be highly recommended in this particular application), otherwise you can end up fighting it's timbral attributes, which isn't a healthy progression. many impart colour....and these are the ones to avoid like the plague unless colour is what you want of course. if you use a freebie, watch out because they can be harsh and that's also a backward step. maybe have a hunt through Mike's recommended free plugin list and run some tests, but please note what i said about "harsh"!!

anyway, see how you get on.

Draper, if you're reading this....i'm in LUUUUV with that signal chain Tongue

cheers guys!
DaveDeluxe
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
Hey HB

In case it helps:

IQ4 is a good freebie dynamic EQ, but its a pain to set up... the GUI makes it basically impossible to dial in the exact frequencies, so you might have to do it through your DAW's parameter controls. Sometimes it crashes the DAW if you're already knee deep in processing, so I generally use it offline. I can never seem to get a multiband to work accurately enough for this kinda work, probably because I only really have a low CPU bundled model and 50RCERY (also by Platinumears), which in my humble and subjective opinion horribly sucks, at least for anything I've tried using it.

Mike recommends this guy, and it works well for me when I feel the need to resort to such extreme measures... but remember I warned you about what a hassle it is to use Tongue

Here's the download link: http://www.platinumears.com/iq4gui.html
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
(27-05-2015, 07:03 AM)loweche6 Wrote: [Image: Vox%20track%20processing_zpsgtslorxz.png]

my vocal processing, plus an eventide ultrachannel, haha

There's a lesson here, somewhere Wink Thicker quilts, I say!
Believe you me, Pauli, I'm not happy with how I processed my vox. . . But it did give me some results, not sure if I'm happy with them, but I got results!!

Dave: sexy, isn't it? :-P who says -18 db dips are too much? Pansies, I say! PANSIIIIIEEEEESSSSS
Sometimes, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Main point I'm making is that it's really pretty easy to head off vocal resonances when recording, provided the mic technique is there and the room hatefulness is being contained. Can't help but feel this particular singer would benefit from a different mic, too.

You're using the Antress Modern plugs, I see... I like them, too, but I can't seem to remove them from the insert chain without crashing the DAW... so I only use them if I'm certain it'll work Tongue If you've figured out a way around that, please do tell.
Wish I could help, pauli, I've never had that issue with the Antress plugs. They can be a little squirrelly sometimes, but even that has cleared up recently. You could insert them on a copied track and freeze that track, if you wanted to have options, but that may be a ham handed solution. I completely agree about the recording of her vocals. (btw, my previous comment wasn't meant to be dickish at all, but i could read it is as such now, so please, don't take it that way).

Also, the way the engineer didn't edit his grand entrance out of the takes was a little bothersome to me *grumble grumble grumble*
Hi Hbguitar try using waves sc1 and target the worst of the frequencies followed by la2a as part of your vocal chain it might help.
Hey Guys.....i wake up and find that the thread has gone crazy.....thanks for all your input.....i feel very special.

@ loweche6 - Hey draper..I'm not sure that you're helping the situation showing me that FX chain....lol.....then again....i don't feel like such a plug-in junkie now.....so that's gotta be good!

@ The_Metallurgist - Hey Dave...Nice tip re multi-band....I usually avoid like the plague...mainly as I only hear horror stories....but maybe its time to grasp the nettle so to speak.

@ pauli - hey pauli. I did use IQ4 a while back but never really got the feel for it.....and since going 64bit OS/DAW i haven't really persevered with it. Studio One comes bundled with a pretty nice multi-band so I'll give that a whirl and maybe do some comparisons

@ cudjoe - hey cudjoe ... do you mean c1.?..couldnt find sc1. i dont have a la2a but i do use a TLA100 which plays a similar smoothing role. I think i'll dive back in---asses my compression settings....change out my EQ notches for some multi-band and see how we go.

cheers all

new version, 1.2. few mods here and there. mainly on vox. Changed out EQ notches and used muliti-band comp as dynamic eq. Seemed to work well....also fine tuned some comp threshold settings....vox delivery seems more relaxed now

.mp3    Drag_HB Mix 1.2 Master.mp3 --  (Download: 10.58 MB)

Instruments and backing vocals sound great, but you have problems with main vocal. It sounds cheap and nasal (too much around 400- 700 Hz). Try to boost some highs with a high shelf around 12k and consider a little cut on 1,5k to 2k- ish range. 7/10