Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Children Of No-one - mix by Dags
Absolutely great mix! Listened to it after putting mine up and i've definitely missed a few tricks!
Was that a quick reversed reverb on vocals I heard?!

I dont know if its just me, but both of the lead vox tracks together didn't quite sound right together. But I suppose things like that are down to preference.

Great work!

Music Tech Student.
London College of Music.
Very nice, Dags. I really like the low-end 'growl' on the guitars. How did you 'get' that ?
Everything's balanced really well and sounds great - even just feeding this stream to my monitors.
two thumbs up, my friend !
Hi guys. I'll have to check my mix session for you Robert. Probably good old compression & eq Smile I'd say that the character of the guitar already had some growl in them. I'll make a reminder to myself to load it up and make some notes for you.

....later.......
OK - I surprised myself. There's minimal processing on the guitars, just EQ in each channel. However Elec Guitar 1 and Elec Guitar 4 are alternately panned hard L-R and both are getting sent to a parallel distortion channel low in volume. No EQ done on this distortion channel so the bottom end is getting beefed up as well. (This was before I really learned about cleaning up the low end but it was an advantage to have the additional low end distortion remaining in this case.) Elec Guitar 5 is panned centrally and is distorted enough.

Guit1 EQ: Low shelf @ 106Hz -24DB (effectively a smooth HPF) | 260Hz -1.5dB | 1kHz -1.5dB | 5.4kHz - 1.5dB | High Shelf @ 10kHz -8dB
Guit4 EQ: Ah - a little trick using Logic's Match EQ sidechained to the vocals and set to negatives to reduce a little of the frequencies required to unclutter the vocals. Also low shelf @ 68Hz @ -24dB | 200Hz + 1.5dB | 1kHz -2.5dB | 5.4kHz -2.5dB | High Shelf @ 10kHz -8dB
Guit5: Same Match EQ idea but using the wurlitzer as the sidechain to remove some sounds to leave room for the organ. No other EQ.
So probably is the distortion adding the low end edge to the guitars.
There's also the bass which is adding a lot of the raunch to the overall guitar sound.

Oh, ZCox44 you are correct - reverse reverb was used as a little bit of colour for the break before the last chorusSmile This and reverse delay are two of my favourite processing tricks.
Listen out for them in nearly all my mixes lol!

Dags
So many songs, so little time!
Guit1 EQ: Low shelf @ 106Hz -24DB (effectively a smooth HPF) | 260Hz -1.5dB | 1kHz -1.5dB | 5.4kHz - 1.5dB | High Shelf @ 10kHz -8dB
Guit4 EQ: Ah - a little trick using Logic's Match EQ sidechained to the vocals and set to negatives to reduce a little of the frequencies required to unclutter the vocals. Also low shelf @ 68Hz @ -24dB | 200Hz + 1.5dB | 1kHz -2.5dB | 5.4kHz -2.5dB | High Shelf @ 10kHz -8dB
Gowd i cant even remember what i done to my mixes half the time lol
Good mix, Dags!
Nice work Smile like the sound, cheers

tato
LOL @ Takka

Luckily I still have the session on my system...no way would I have remembered any of this Smile
So many songs, so little time!
it sounds perfect!!! and the guitar intro is breathtaking!
mixing since April 2013