Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kat Wright - By My Side(let the bleed be fixed!)
Well what can I say.. bleed is an engineers worst nightmare.. or at least one of them. Tried my best to bring up the individual tones of the instruments without the bleed affecting it. tried to automate pretty much the whole voice to get rid of that "
room" vibe in it and though is not 100% clean.. I think it sounds pretty decent in comparison. Essing is heavy but vocals are not my forte to be honest.

one full day of work so
Hope you guys like this and leave input if any in the comments. Smile

UPADATE:
less heavy essing on the vocal.. more snare on drums.. pushed back some harsh freq. on the horns .. small adjustments but Hope this sounds better.

.mp3    KatWright-ByMySide.mp3 --  (Download: 9.11 MB)

.mp3    KatWright-ByMySide2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.11 MB)

(08-03-2020, 03:56 AM)Shul Wrote: Well what can I say.. bleed is an engineers worst nightmare.. or at least one of them. Tried my best to bring up the individual tones of the instruments without the bleed affecting it. tried to automate pretty much the whole voice to get rid of that "
room" vibe in it and though is not 100% clean.. I think it sounds pretty decent in comparison. Essing is heavy but vocals are not my forte to be honest.

one full day of work so
Hope you guys like this and leave input if any in the comments. Smile
Sounds really good. I think the horns might be a little loud and I wish the snare was just a little louder and hit a little harder but I'm nit picking. They're probably at the perfect levels considering. Good job.
(08-03-2020, 04:52 AM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Sounds really good. I think the horns might be a little loud and I wish the snare was just a little louder and hit a little harder but I'm nit picking. They're probably at the perfect levels considering. Good job.

Hey thanks for feedback.. Yeah I think i'm gonna make the horns a lil more muddy to have a more pleasing sound to the ears. The snare was giving me trouble when the voice kicked in but I'll see if I can bring it up more. Thanks!
Very good. The only thing I have an issue with is the top end on her voice.The challenge of her sibilence is maybe a bit over corrected.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(08-03-2020, 05:37 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Very good. The only thing I have an issue with is the top end on her voice.The challenge of her sibilence is maybe a bit over corrected.

I agree.. but I kept going back and fort so I just got it to a point where it seats fair enought and I left it like that, it was giving me a headache lol.
(08-03-2020, 05:53 AM)Shul Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 05:37 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Very good. The only thing I have an issue with is the top end on her voice.The challenge of her sibilence is maybe a bit over corrected.

I agree.. but I kept going back and fort so I just got it to a point where it seats fair enought and I left it like that, it was giving me a headache lol.

Yah. The least painful method. On this track, that is viable!
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hi!

Yeah, definitely got a bit more 'body' out of the instruments so a success with that aim. Not as much feel of 'space' between the musicians as some mixes but gels together as a unit quite well for that I feel. Yeah as you say vocal de-ess is heavy. Saying that- sibilance doesn't tend bother me that much so I probably go too far the other way with it. A nice mix, with a bit more of, I suppose, a commercial sound to it. A touch louder and touch more compressed maybe. I think I only pick up on that because I used virtually no compression in my version, and have heard it too many times!

Yeah nice job.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(09-03-2020, 10:33 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

Yeah, definitely got a bit more 'body' out of the instruments so a success with that aim. Not as much feel of 'space' between the musicians as some mixes but gels together as a unit quite well for that I feel. Yeah as you say vocal de-ess is heavy. Saying that- sibilance doesn't tend bother me that much so I probably go too far the other way with it. A nice mix, with a bit more of, I suppose, a commercial sound to it. A touch louder and touch more compressed maybe. I think I only pick up on that because I used virtually no compression in my version, and have heard it too many times!

Yeah nice job.

Cheers!

thanks for the listen Mike.. yes indeed I push that limiter to where there is almost no room for dynamics.. a lil too much I supposed. I fixed some minor things and I boosted a lil ess on the vocals. I found that without compressing the 5k - 10k on the vocals with the multipressor, the snare sounds awful different when the vocal is playing in comparison when is not. Anyhow thanks for the comment and if you happen to listen to this other one I hope it sounds a tiny better for you Smile

Hi!

Vocal generally sits a bit better now I think for me (sounds a touch brighter perhaps?) but I think you've maybe gone too far in the other direction now with the de-esser! It's a bit harsh even for my ears at the 33s,44s,54s,56s, I feel? If you can't get a good balance with the de-esser you might have success with automation. I've just re-opened my session to check and I did a little manual volume duck with automation at those points, if it helps any? The thought has just occured to me that you could maybe try automating the de-esser threshold at those points also. I've never tried that, but it might work.

To clarify I didn't have a problem with the compression/limiting in your version, I was just stating that I noticed it due to mine being not so compressed. I found the other day that there is a video of the commercial release of this track on youtube from 2016, and your version reminded me of that - a good thing. I don't want to lead you in the wrong direction on that score.

Yeah the snare thing is tricky with this - that's why I basically did nothing to the vocal so I didn't have to deal with it as such. I eq'd a little high shelf on the vocal to bring it out more, but I was also listening to the snare in the full mix too as I adjusted it, as I found I could get some sort of top end on the snare (that I was looking for too) from the vocal eq.

Cheers.
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Thanks mike.. that's actually an applicable point.. but I don't do much automation to be honest especially when it comes to plugins ... I spend too much time on those so now what i do is try to get the song to sound like a song with the less automation possible. In this case thought that's actually a great Idea... automated threshold on that de-esser... If I have time to work on that specific thing I'll get to it!!

thanks!!