Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Santa Fe - Rook Mix
Here is my shot at Santa Fe.

.mp3    Fruition - Santa Fe - Rook Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 8.18 MB)

.mp3    Fruition - Santa Fe - Rook Mix_V2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.15 MB)

.mp3    Fruition - Santa Fe - Rook Mix_V3.mp3 --  (Download: 8.15 MB)

Nice mix,
Not bad, smooth and easy going.
I do occasionally hear the compression on the vocal, probably from the peaks in her voice.
Also I like the guitars a bit tucked in in this song but this is subjective.
Other than that I can't complain, Good Job!
The voice seems too upfront and disconnected from the rest of the mix and gets a bit strident at times. The bass also seems to be disconnected. maybe too much compression all around?
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
V2 uploaded to address feedback from letifer85 and mixinthecloud. A bit more treatment on the bass. Swapped one of the vocal compressors and tamed some high end. Thanks to both of you for listening.
Hi! Nice mix.

The vocal's wide ranging dynamics take some grappling with. Personally, I went for attenuating specific over-loud deliveries before any processing so as to stop compressors (plural) from having to work too hard which would result in less transparency. I also went the other way too, but I find that's less successful because of the issues it provokes.

If you dig hard, you will find there's a nice Pensado-type breathiness in her vocal, which I really liked in this song.

Thanks for dropping by Wink
"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
Thanks Monk. I too had two compressors and used dynamic and traditional eq before processing....probably not enough. Vocals and low end are still big challenges for me. Hopefully, will do better on the next one. Cheers.

(26-03-2019, 02:19 PM)Monk Wrote: Hi! Nice mix.

The vocal's wide ranging dynamics take some grappling with. Personally, I went for attenuating specific over-loud deliveries before any processing so as to stop compressors (plural) from having to work too hard which would result in less transparency. I also went the other way too, but I find that's less successful because of the issues it provokes.

If you dig hard, you will find there's a nice Pensado-type breathiness in her vocal, which I really liked in this song.

Thanks for dropping by Wink

It's pretty noisy for my taste. I think the drums could move back a hair especially when he's playing the sidestick. Other than that its a fine mix.
Two compressors on the vocals here too.

On vers. 2 I still feel the lead vocal is too disconnected from the ensemble and that the guitar on the right is too low in relation to the guitar on the left. It's real close and the all the sounds are excellent.

Placement of the lead vocal on this track is amazingly tricky. Getting it to lay against the ensemble while holding on to the intimacy at the ends of phrases is not easy.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Thanks for the feedback

(27-03-2019, 02:56 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: It's pretty noisy for my taste. I think the drums could move back a hair especially when he's playing the sidestick. Other than that its a fine mix.

Thanks. I may take another crack at it.

(27-03-2019, 03:55 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Two compressors on the vocals here too.

On vers. 2 I still feel the lead vocal is too disconnected from the ensemble and that the guitar on the right is too low in relation to the guitar on the left. It's real close and the all the sounds are excellent.

Placement of the lead vocal on this track is amazingly tricky. Getting it to lay against the ensemble while holding on to the intimacy at the ends of phrases is not easy.