Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patrick Talbot: "Upper Hand"
I didn't make too big of adjustments because many things were already sounding great! I hope you guys enjoy my mix and leave a message if you like or dislike!

Frank Juarez

.mp3    Upper Hand.mp3 --  (Download: 6.32 MB)

.mp3    Upper Hand Mastered.mp3 --  (Download: 6.32 MB)

Hum, I would say there's some work to be done still on this one...
There's a lot of low-end mud from the bass and acoustic guitars.
The vocals are remote because of the huge reverb you've used. They sound like they are behind the group, with the guitars and even bass being in front. The horns are also very remote and lack punch...
The lead guitar at the end sounds very harsh.
So some tones issues but mainly ambience issue IMHO.
I would question your monitoring because it sounds like you don't have a clear picture of your mix. What do you use?
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
(23-02-2016, 04:10 AM)ptalbot Wrote: Hum, I would say there's some work to be done still on this one...
There's a lot of low-end mud from the bass and acoustic guitars.
The vocals are remote because of the huge reverb you've used. They sound like they are behind the group, with the guitars and even bass being in front. The horns are also very remote and lack punch...
The lead guitar at the end sounds very harsh.
So some tones issues but mainly ambience issue IMHO.
I would question your monitoring because it sounds like you don't have a clear picture of your mix. What do you use?

Hey Patrick,

I am fairly new to this world but getting better... I use Audio Technica M40x and then I have JBL Studio Monitors. I think I got it sound better but I think I rushed through the first go around. I didn't have any kind of reference to how I wanted it to sound. Here is the second go around. BTW Great Song!

Frank

.mp3    Upper Hand mixed.mp3 --  (Download: 8.43 MB)

You've got some very interesting ideas expressed in your mix and I like them a lot. Everything sounds great except the bass guitar is masking a lot of your mix. I can't say this is a monitor issue for sure because none of your other instruments exhibit the same wooliness as the bass guitar. I wonder if you are using the JBL 3200 series monitors?
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Thanks, I have the JBL LSR 305 3 Series monitor speakers. They sound great and I was happy with the overall mix. The first mix was kind of rushed and I didn't sit to really listen. The second go around was much better and changed a few things but nothing major. Thanks for the input because I know that my ear are classically trained and listen to music a little different.
The 305's have great imaging, but I am not a fan. I bought a pair from GC Pro and took them back after one day. They sounded much better in the store. However, that does not mean there is anything wrong with them, it is just a personal preference. With any speaker you need to interpolate what you hear with what you feel will translate to other systems. Using that memory is a trick just about every mixer uses. I'd be embarrassed to tell you what I am monitoring with when I mix! However, when I listen on phones, ear buds, my ROR/Visonic Davids in my living room and my Jeep Cherokee's system, it is the combination of those that tells me if my choices are good or bad. My biggest tell is my RORs. Typically if my mix sounds good on those, then I am usually happy.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hey Frank, It's not sounding all bad, and is actually holding up pretty good on my macbook speakers. The mix is sounding a little loose at times in which it can be difficult to tie together with such a dynamic piece and as mentioned before there are issues with the bass. It's definitely a brave move taking on a song like this if you are fairly new at mixing. I've been mixing for a couple years now and I know I was nervous taking this one on, even though the recording and arrangement are well done.
I'm not familiar with your monitors but I'm sure they're good. Just learn them and listen to lot's of music on them within your room. As Mixinthecloud had mentioned, referencing your mix on other audio sources (including mono) you have available around the house, headphones and the car will usually help you with finding any weakness within your mix and give you the confidence of it translating faithfully.

Dave.
Wanted to give this song another go and here it is. I feel like I have improved some since last working on this track. I hope you guys enjoy.

Frank

.mp3    Upper Hand.mp3 --  (Download: 10.44 MB)