Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MekaPhil - Timeless (Part 2) (Hein-Ivan Mix)
A fine song and fun to mix. Thanks for listening and any comments. Cheers!

.mp3    MekaPhil - Timeless (Part 2).mp3 --  (Download: 9.25 MB)

Hello! I appreciate that you took the time to do a mix of the track. First off, I'd like to commend you on getting it nice and loud. That's pretty impressive relative to the loudness of other mixes on here, while still maintaining a decent level of clarity.
For another thing, I like the overall balances. This is well mixed.

I do think that there are a couple of things that could be done to give it more oomph.
1) The guitars are still REALLY clean. The DIs were meant to be naked for the sake of creativity, so that people could choose what to do tone wise! If you could drive them harder, that would be awesome.
2) There seems to be an odd balance. There's not much in the way of low end, but everything seems to have a lot of upper mids. In particular, the drums seem to be really room which eats up a LOT of space in the area from 2khz to 10khz. I'd say that while it's a good balance overall, the drums overheads get a lot of love, and it's plenty spacious, it does just seem to be less grounded in the low end and a little too bright in the upper mids.

I can hear what you were going for though, and it sounds good! I would just have focused a little more on driving those guitars harder with more aggressive tones and clearing out some space in the drum overheads / rooms for other instruments to shine.

Good job! I loved hearing your take on the track.
(25-08-2021, 11:22 PM)aftercutrecords Wrote: Hello! I appreciate that you took the time to do a mix of the track. First off, I'd like to commend you on getting it nice and loud. That's pretty impressive relative to the loudness of other mixes on here, while still maintaining a decent level of clarity.
For another thing, I like the overall balances. This is well mixed.

I do think that there are a couple of things that could be done to give it more oomph.
1) The guitars are still REALLY clean. The DIs were meant to be naked for the sake of creativity, so that people could choose what to do tone wise! If you could drive them harder, that would be awesome.
2) There seems to be an odd balance. There's not much in the way of low end, but everything seems to have a lot of upper mids. In particular, the drums seem to be really room which eats up a LOT of space in the area from 2khz to 10khz. I'd say that while it's a good balance overall, the drums overheads get a lot of love, and it's plenty spacious, it does just seem to be less grounded in the low end and a little too bright in the upper mids.

I can hear what you were going for though, and it sounds good! I would just have focused a little more on driving those guitars harder with more aggressive tones and clearing out some space in the drum overheads / rooms for other instruments to shine.

Good job! I loved hearing your take on the track.
Hello aftercutrecords! Many thanks for the comments it means a lot to me, I do agree on several points here and especially on the overheads so I'll do another mix later on. Cheers!