Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blues Bastards - Lights Out
Hi,

Well, I gave it a go.

Cheers!

.mp3    Blues Bastards - Lights Out.mp3 --  (Download: 8.41 MB)

Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Very tidy mix .Good work mate
I love it!
The vocal tone is perfect to me.
Guitars are powerful without being too loud.
I love the FX that you use during the break.
There is a bit too much reverb on the voice for me though. Also I can still hear the bass synth pop/crack sometimes during the intro.
(23-02-2021, 03:03 AM)takka360 Wrote: Very tidy mix .Good work mate
Thanks, much appreciated.  Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(23-02-2021, 12:50 PM)raphcath Wrote: I love it!
The vocal tone is perfect to me.
Guitars are powerful without being too loud.
I love the FX that you use during the break.
There is a bit too much reverb on the voice for me though. Also I can still hear the bass synth pop/crack sometimes during the intro.
Hi!

Thanks for checking it out. 

Good comment regarding the vocal reverb.  I did actually add a little more vocal reverb to keep with the vibe of the library mix, along with the distorted delay.  Same with the bass 'pops' too.  I felt they were also part of the vibe and rhythm of the track so I let them come through, so maybe it's just my taste there, as such.

I did have some fun trying to recreate some of the effects.  I added some samples and also the filter sweep from a synth that I hear in the original mix, but those parts don't seem to be in the session we have.

I think the original mix is really great.  Really creative, and all the little effects and things that going on in there. 

Cheers!
snappy drums. i like your guitars as well. vocal eq is nice. good use of the fx's as well.
Sounds good. I only have two minor issues. The vocal tone at the top feels a little "wool-y", like he's too close on a dynamic mic (there might be a p or b pop in there too). After the first verse the vocal feels fine. The kick might be too in your face in sections. By the end, it fits but in might be a little distracting in the verse. Other than that it's great. I like the overall build and dynamics. Good job.
Hey Roy!

Thanks for checking it out and for the comments.

I hear what you mean about the intro vocal now you point it out, good ear. I could maybe high pass it a bit more and cut some mud there or something. I found getting the right vibe and tone from the vocal a bit of a challenge.

Yeah the upper bit of the kick is maybe too strong, but I did it anyway... I might actually have automated the drums up at the end. It doesn't always occur to me to automate the drums down a bit for verses and things, so something to bear in mind, thanks!

I might make some tweaks sometime. I now notice a strange noise at around 2:54 that bugs me too.

Cheers!
The lead vocal doesn't reach out properly, it's like too far in front not having lot of life, your snare reverb sound a bit cheap too.
(28-02-2021, 08:26 PM)EarWeGo Wrote: The lead vocal doesn't reach out properly, it's like too far in front not having lot of life, your snare reverb sound a bit cheap too.
Interesting. On re-listen I'm not sure I agree. the vocal may be a bit out front in the beginning, sure, but it sits fine in the rest of the tune. That's a simple automation fix. But I can't say it lacks 'life'. I'm still buying whatever the vocalist is selling and honestly, I don't know shat he's selling. I'm not sure he is either. Which isn't meant to be an insult at all it's just a bit non sensical.

As far as the snare reverb, I had to really listen and focus to notice it and in dissenting opinion I don't think it sounds cheap, though I bet it was free. It sounds fine. It feels like a gated reverb. It works for the busy track. Dated? Maybe. But that works for the song. 

I dunno the criticism seems a bit hit and run and random - something I'm admittedly guilty of doing often - but not really helpful. What, if anything did you like of the tracks? Seems oddly harsh but maybe it's a French thing.