Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open Fire-Roy mix
(31-12-2023, 05:45 PM)Roy Wrote: An attempt was made. I was a little lazy, I'll admit. It's probably a bit bright.
Anyway,
The high hat is what's causing the brittleness. The guitar tone is great. The bass needs to be compressed and EQ-ed about to even it out. Maybe punch up the toms a bit. I think the kick and snare sound good, but it's hard to tell until that high hat comes down. There's probably a bit of high midrange in the guitars masking the vocals a bit in the middle. Maybe try a dynamic compressor in mid-side, side-chained to the vocal that is just pushing down 2k 1-2 db in the middle when he's singing.

All in all, with the exception of the high hat, one of the better balanced mixes I've heard of this song so far.
~~ Here to learn and help ~~

Marty
Mixer/Engineer/Producer
Austin, Texas, USA
(31-01-2024, 04:21 AM)Marty Wrote:
(31-12-2023, 05:45 PM)Roy Wrote: An attempt was made. I was a little lazy, I'll admit. It's probably a bit bright.
Anyway,
The high hat is what's causing the brittleness. The guitar tone is great. The bass needs to be compressed and EQ-ed about to even it out. Maybe punch up the toms a bit. I think the kick and snare sound good, but it's hard to tell until that high hat comes down. There's probably a bit of high midrange in the guitars masking the vocals a bit in the middle. Maybe try a dynamic compressor in mid-side, side-chained to the vocal that is just pushing down 2k 1-2 db in the middle when he's singing.

All in all, with the exception of the high hat, one of the better balanced mixes I've heard of this song so far.
Thanks for listening. Yeah I think the brightness come from the HH and guitars.

Hi Hat has always been a pain for me so I usually take time to focus on it in these mixes and over-compensate. I should just remember it's not a Steely Dan record.

Thanks again.
Cheers.