Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Will Evans - Me And My Crew
(08-08-2021, 09:08 PM)mikej Wrote: Interesting - thanks.  It's better than the last one you did of mine I think Smile.  Can you get the RMS up a couple of dB still though?  I could maybe try to get you the 24 bit wav without anything at all on the master if you want to have a proper go at it.

Not sure it's clipping as such - should be -0.1 true peak, although sometimes it comes out a little over after converting to mp3.  I usually have it about -0.5 or so before mp3 conversion, sometimes it comes out a little over after (which I don't tend to bother about here).  I feel it's more the vocal mic? 

Certainly smoother.  So you are saying I don't have to make it quite so punchy then?

Cheers!

Edit to add I do like the description of the high end being wheezing and distorting Big Grin.

Actually the real problem is not high or lows .The main problem is that unbalanced mix.I said clipping.Absolutely your final mix seems hypercompressed .So signal is distorting .Do you use masterbus compressor and limiter or maximizer in your mix ? You asked me why did you make rough mix .I answer you Mikej.I wanna show that you can do good jobs without huge eq movements ,compressors and limiters or etc.You can achieve good results with minimalist things.At least I believe this.Maybe you dont agree with me.Not problem.Cheers !
I do understand what you mean. 

For me personally - part of the mixing challenge is getting levels somewhere close to the library mixes -  and there may be a trade off there. 

Absolutely the mix is reasonably heavily limited.  Maybe a good thing that I backed it off a bit as I did actually have it a bit louder.  Personally I do like to try and get somewhere close to the levels of the library mixes LUFS wise.  I do understand others might not be so concerned with this aspect - or have a completely different philosophy and opinion - which is also perfectly fine.  To me it depends on what I am attempting to mix - I certainly don't approach every mix in the same way.  For this one I wanted it a bit more kind of Hip Hop than Jazz, and with an upfront vocal. 

- I've attached a version of the mix with nothing on the mixbus, might be the odd peak there but should be ok.

Regarding the 'rough mix' thing -

To me the term 'rough mix' suggests a hasty, somewhat unpolished mix - and not presenting the best mix you can.  Hence the term 'rough mix'.  This is partly why I don't really understand the term  'master' regarding a mix that is seemingly unfinished and 'rough'. 

Not sure about anyone else - it might just be me here - I do think it then makes it difficult to pass comment on a mix that the mixer has stated is unfinished or 'rough' as it feels like they are holding back and not presenting their best work as such?

Cheers!

.mp3    Will Evans - Me And My Crew - No Mixbus Processing.mp3 --  (Download: 8.02 MB)

Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
I mostly checked out the "No Mixbus Processing" version. I found the original a bit too loud and clippy. Maybe it was on my end, I'm not sure.

Anyway, I really like the mix. If I had a note it'd be maybe bring the snare back a bit. It's just a hair too upfront and has a lot of attack. I agree with Shul in that I want more hat. I wouldn't say it feels robotic to me but the hat really helps the groove. It's not bad as is but having the hat more upfront would be ideal.
Think the distortion/clipping was on the vocal. I've uploaded a revision 1.0 that should be a touch less loud and clippy and might have more hat. I left the snare as is though!

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
V1.0 still feels a little more...gritty to me but I think it's just a preference thing and more an issue with me. I hear it in the vocal but I don't know if it's something localized to it or the whole mix and just notice it on the vocal because that's what has my focus

I think the mix bus processing on V1 vs the no processing version "flattens" the snare in a positive way and I'm fine with the sound now. I still could use a bit more hat but I think it's in the realm of personal preference and also something I'm too focused on at this point to be sure of.

Anyhoo, it's a really good mix and I'm nit picking because that's what I do and I like to play devil's advocate.
I'm right that there is no hat spot mic in this? I did try and pick it out of the OH's with EQ (I think there is enough hat there in that OH track) but don't want to boost too much more because of the cymbals. I am only using the stereo OHs track which seems to have plenty of hat in. I feel I got too much cymbal in the mix as it is. I feel there is something I am missing or not getting here.

Cheers!
(02-09-2021, 08:34 PM)mikej Wrote: I'm right that there is no hat spot mic in this?  I did try and pick it out of the OH's with EQ (I think there is enough hat there in that OH track) but don't want to boost too much more because of the cymbals.  I am only using the stereo OHs track which seems to have plenty of hat in.  I feel I got too much cymbal in the mix as it is.  I feel there is something I am missing or not getting here.

Cheers!
Honestly, I don't have the multitracks on my computer anymore so I can't say if there is a spot mic or not. It varies with TF tracks I think. Again, it might just be something that I'm focused on because Shul mentioned it and it's a fair point but it also might be something that's moot and not worth giving too much thought to (I mean for me) or feasible given the tracks. Don't worry about it. Also, blame Shul.
Ah - I wonder if it could be because I edited the toms? They are muted unless the toms are playing, so my mix is likely missing hat bleed from those mics. I don't usually bother cutting the bleed in the TF sessions much, but I did in the last couple.

Cheers!
(02-09-2021, 09:34 PM)mikej Wrote: Ah - I wonder if it could be because I edited the toms? They are muted unless the toms are playing, so my mix is likely missing hat bleed from those mics.  I don't usually bother cutting the bleed in the TF sessions much, but I did in the last couple.

Cheers!
I also don't want to mention that I'm not hearing the harpsichord nor the mellotron....
Mike, (on 2nd mix)
Trying to capture (or maybe more precisely, release) the bounce for this song can be frustrating. It seems like you tried to do this through the kick drum. Your kick sounds great and I am curious as to how you achieved this tonality and pop but for me it is out of context with the song. My feeling is the bounce in this song comes from the entire ensemble working in unity behind the lyric. I am not getting that from your mix. While all the sounds are good, it is not jelling for me. Everything is just a bit too discreet and not glued together. This might be a result of no buss processing, but that is the easy way out. Sorry for the not so good review.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]