Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pedaling Prince Mix: Perpetual Escape - Into My Dreams
Well, I managed to get in under the "early bird" submission wire, barely. I wish I'd had more time to work on this mix but between life, my old computer and the overall gargantuan size of this mix it was hard to get it all done in time. But I did it. I wanted to get it in by today so I can hopefully get some feedback from Perpetual Escape with enough time to implement any changes they suggest.

I'm going to defer talking about my technical approach to this mix for now and just let the mix speak for itself. I will say one thing, though: I added a little something extra to the intro... I'm hoping the band likes it...

Update: I've added my final version of this mix, the one I'm officially submitting to the competition, to this post (the file marked 2017-08-06, 12.25 AM). My first version (2017-07-23, 9.22 PM) is, of course, still here for comparison and educational purposes.

First, I made most of the changes Mandubien suggested below. Interestingly, regarding his suggestion that I use more automation in balancing the guitars. I did add more automation to some of the guitar tracks but others I found worked better when I removed automation. I was in a bit of a rush to get some kind of mix up in time for the "early bird" deadline so I think I may have thrown the guitars together a little too quickly on the first go 'round.

Once I did all that, listening to the song as a whole I started to understand the vibe of it much more. This inspired me to make a number of other improvements while I was at it. Those I'm not going to discuss here and ruin the surprises for Mandubien when he hears the final version, but please feel free to listen for yourself. Big Grin

Until now, I never solicited any comments on this mix from anybody, aside from Mandubien. As this is for a competition I felt compelled to complete the mix on the basis of my own skills and the artist's vision alone; I didn't want to be biased by any suggestions. That's also why I haven't listened to, nor commented on, anyone's mix of this song; I didn't want to be influenced by anyone else's work, either. They only thing I did look at were some of Mandubien's comments on the other mixes but without listening to the mixes themselves; that helped give me a clearer idea of what he's looking for without being biased by the work of the other competitors.

However, the final version attached here is "locked" as far as I'm concerned; this is my contest submission. So now I would like to hear any thoughts you all might have on this mix; anyone who does comment I'll make a point of going over to your mix and giving my feedback.

.m4a    Into My Dreams - 2017-07-23, 9.22 PM.m4a --  (Download: 37.57 MB)

.m4a    Into My Dreams - 2017-08-06, 12.25 AM.m4a --  (Download: 37.35 MB)

John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince

Messages In This Thread
Pedaling Prince Mix: Perpetual Escape - Into My Dreams - by Pedaling Prince - 24-07-2017, 01:57 AM