Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silona - Learning How To Fly [OoF]
(04-07-2020, 03:38 PM)RoyM Wrote: Interesting. I think we just hear things differently. To me, this feels a bit dark and relatively dry. The bass seems to 'ground' the song and weigh it down. At the bridge it opens up a bit but for a song about flying, thematically the mix doesn't seem to get off the ground. It feels like an intimate mix for a more  "grand" song. But I concede we may just hear the song differently.

Thanks for the feedback!

The middle part is not dry it is super-dry! It's purposeful. Other than that, the voice is pretty dipped in verb and echo, and some of the drums are as well. As for the darkness.... relative to what? Most of the songs posted on these forums generally have too much harshness when I compare them to commercial productions. Not saying that the mix isn't too dark, it may very well be, just want to make sure what's the benchmark.  Big Grin

That said, I'm biased towards slightly darker mixes. I think it's easier to add some general shine to a mix than low end and body. It should be quite easy to add some silky top end in mastering with one of those expensive hardware EQs. Anyway, I'll fool around a bit and post someting.
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Silona - Learning How To Fly [OoF] - by Roy - 04-07-2020, 03:38 PM
RE: Silona - Learning How To Fly [OoF] - by OctopusOnFire - 04-07-2020, 05:29 PM
RE: Silona - Learning How To Fly [OoF] - by Monk - 29-07-2020, 10:25 AM