Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silona - Learning How To Fly [OoF]
------------[ EDITS ]------------

- If you guys could help me, I'd really appreciate it. Probably I've been calibrating the room treatment wrong for a while. I need to check if this new measurement goes in the right direction. I've uploaded a mix labeled TEST and carved out some of the frequencies I was blindly adding with the former calibration. According to the new one, I was losing frequencies around 80Hz, and therefore adding too much of it in the mixes. So, in the new mix I just carved out a little bit around there. I'd really like to know if it translates well to other speakers. 

------------------------------------

Hi everyone,
In order to plan this mix, I though about two moods or scenarios: There's an airy, spacious, larger-than-life mood and a down-to-earth mood. I wanted to make a contrast between those two, and take the listener up and down as the song progresses.

So it starts with a very atmospheric introduction, then a very earthy, dry middle section that leads to the big instrumental part, finishing with a larger-than-life final chorus. 
In general terms, I was tempted to feature the rhythmic section, but I kept it more as part of the scenery. Therefore I got a roomy kind of drums with not a lot of punch. The bass is also part of that support, while featuring the nice articulations that spice up the production. The voice should be obviously featured, but not in a "voice diva" kind of way, but a bit more integrated with the band. something that draws you in gently into the song. I wanted to give it as much of an airy, silky texture as possible without getting harsh. 

Other than that, it's the usual hunting for resonances, frequencies that shouldn't poke and stuff that gets in the way of the listening experience.
I used all the tracks provided (superb work, although I'd say leaving too many options to the mixer can be more of a curse than a blessing sometimes), didn't add any samples or mastering. These are some of the best raw tracks in the site IMO.

Let me know how you feel about this mix. Any questions, comments and critiques are really, really helpful, so please do!!

.mp3    Silona_LearningHowToFly_OoF_M1.2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.05 MB)

.mp3    Silona_LearningHowToFly_OoF_TEST.mp3 --  (Download: 8.05 MB)

.mp3    Silona_LearningHowToFly_OoF_M2-003.mp3 --  (Download: 8.05 MB)

ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

Messages In This Thread
Silona - Learning How To Fly [OoF] - by OctopusOnFire - 04-07-2020, 02:02 PM
RE: Silona - Learning How To Fly [OoF] - by Roy - 04-07-2020, 03:38 PM
RE: Silona - Learning How To Fly [OoF] - by Monk - 29-07-2020, 10:25 AM