Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Digital Only Logic Proz Late Night Neverland Butt Hoe
(30-11-2019, 06:48 PM)Ringoman1 Wrote: Hi Quathamer!

I listened to the mastered version, just to be clear Smile.

Hey ringo, wow that's a lot of questions! Here's some answers and comments for you.

- Cool L/R (reverse) delay effect: The reverse effect is actually apart of the session, though I did enhance it a bit. It's one of the tracks (I can't remember what it's labeled).

- Overall a bit heavy on the low end: So this a mastering thing. All mastering that I do is to make it sound good on small speakers, so you would be right in assuming then that the unmastered is not as bright, not as heavy on the low end, and a lot more dynamic. Essentially the unmastered version is for listening loud on big speakers.

- Very beautifully-done vocal processing and use of the backing vocals (it really stands out in the verses) + tasteful use of reverb: Thanks! Because he's straining his voice so painfully in the choruses, the trick for this song is not to compress his vocal too heavily, and not to make his backing vocals too bright otherwise they will overwhelm the mix clarity.

- Nice distortion added for the crunch of the guitars: A lot of the distortion was already in the tracks and I just tried to bring it out a bit more (or a lot more). I love a good crunchy but silky guitar.

- At 2:38 a bit of (sidechain?): No actually, this is again another side effect of the mastering - but done intentionally. I enjoy the sound of pumping masters because it gives energy to mixes when listening at low volumes. The umastered version doesn't have this.

- I didn't hear the piano and acoustic guitars very clearly in the busier (chorus) sections; did you purposefully put focus on the other instruments in the chorus sections?:
Yeah, spot on. So the parts are definitely there, especially the acoustics that give little chimes here and there in the choruses, but you shouldn't have everything clear and up front all the time. You can if you want, but what will happen is your mixes will become either cluttered or confusing. The human brain can only process a few things at a time, so you need to feature one thing, let the feature be supported by a few other things, and then you can have hundreds of tiny details in the background if you want but as long as you give your listener one defined thing to hang onto, your mixes will be clearer, more defined, and easier to listen to for your brain. Keep it simple.
If you want to know what to "feature" in a mix at any time, just ask the artist - either listen to the reference track they send, or ask them.

I hope that helps you in some way there Ringo, and thanks heaps for all those comments and questions. I really appreciate you took the time to comment.
~
Other Mixes

Messages In This Thread
RE: Digital Only Logic Proz Late Night Neverland Butt Hoe - by Quathamer - 01-12-2019, 12:21 AM