Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pedaling Prince Mix: Perpetual Escape - Into My Dreams
Hey !

I'm Florian, Perpetual Escape's drummer and original mix engineer. Here's my feedback for your mix of Into My Dreams.

- Drums: this is where you have the most to do. I really like the tone of the drums but they lack punch. I can barely hear the kick and the cymbals. The snare sound very thin and I mainly hear the bottom instead of the impact of the top. Toms have a nice separation and sound pretty decent. The second snare totally disappears in the mix when it comes in.

- Bass: I can feel it's here but I can't hear it. I think you can improve it using a lot of saturation or distortion on the heaviest parts.

- Keys: You have chosen to place most the keys in front, which is an option for this song. You did well here since they are not distractive from the rest of the instruments. Careful however during the first guitar solo (second part), where they should be behind the guitars, and not in front.

- Guitars: definitively the hardest part to manage in this song. I think the biggest problem is the volume balance of the guitars through the song. Sometimes they sound at the right volume, sometimes they are too quite or too loud. Automation is gonna be your best friend to manage such things. Also, you must pay attention to which guitar must be in front of the others. A lot of them are there not to be really heard, but felt. So each guitar cannot be heard as the lead one.

- Vocals: This is the second part which needs a lot of work. I know the tracks are not the best ones since the volumes are very different from part to part. But you really need to make sure each section is carefully compressed and at the right volume. So once again automation will be your best friend.
Globally the vocals lack some punch. They don't really cut through the mix. What I usually do is to mix the vocals after the band to make sure I do the right moves to make them cut through. Don't mix them in solo, but in the context of the song so you will make sure they are always at their right place.

Thank you for mixing this song and I'm looking forward to hearing your revised mix!

Cheers
Florian - Perpetual Escape

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pedaling Prince Mix: Perpetual Escape - Into My Dreams - by Mandubien - 24-07-2017, 09:57 PM