Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Still Flying! Just did a course so tell me if its any good
I'll play the middleman here and say both Blitzzz and Shul are right to a certain extent. In this case I'll agree with Blitzzz a little more only because you mention that you took a course (in what, you don't say but audio/mixing related). I think what would be the best from a learning standpoint is aiming for what the genre calls for and what the client might want. Those are big factors in mixing and having that target to shoot for is how you'll best train yourself in getting sounds and mixes that you want in the future. It creates a certain discipline.

That said, the beauty of this site is the ability to freely download and work on songs of almost any style and work on it on your own with no pressure from anyone else. This plays into what Shul's point. You can take a song and mess with it and try new things and expand your palette of sounds and techniques. Then in the future you'll be able to come up with fresh perspectives on future mixes. But I think what is best is getting a feel for what is a solid mix in the style of a genre and then expanding. Because what is libel to happen is that you'll get lazy and lean towards what you know and are comfortable doing.

This isn't an easy song. I've tried a couple of times and it just does my head in and it's safe to say have plenty of experience in mixing (even though it doesn't sound like it! ha). But it'd be easy for me to get it to sound 'ok' and call it 'organic' and call it a day but I wouldn't get much out of the experience. If I do give it another shot I know I'd go for a mix that I thought fit the style.

Look at all the things you have issues with, the levels, compression, automation, the vocals. Those are all the things you're telling yourself you need to work on. That's the point of doing these mixes. It's practice and honing your skills. Remember that you don't have to like the music to work on it. It's a service industry.

And, unrelated, did anyone ever make a note of exactly where the guitar parts should start? That would be handy.
It doesn't have to sound good. People just need to think it sounds good.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Still Flying! Just did a course so tell me if its any good - by Roy - 09-12-2016, 10:09 PM