Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Still Flying FINAL MIX (2)
Comment is much appreciated Blitz.

Screams are where I wanted them to be. Seems like you used the reference too much lol. Reason for it is because the shift between the end of the section have it an interesting tempo effect in a weird way. It doesn't sound wrong to me (it's different for everyone I know). Unless you say it sounds wrong because the timing doesn't work at all then we can agree you are basing that comment just on the reference track.

I admit my mix has too much lows masking the definition on guitars. I also didn't like the air in the recordings of the guitar and therefore I might have tamed them too much. My fault here I should have gone easy on the low end. This is creating that breathing problem you are talking about where it sounds like the mix is drowning.

Regarding the tightness of drums.. I think yours has too much kick and too much toms.. Making my mix sounding like it just doesn't have that punch.. But I think it does. I'm a drumer my self and I also play guitar. Metalcore is in my too genres I listen to so I have a decent knowledge about balancing the rythm section. Its eq'ing that i need to get better at because most of my masking problems come from here.

Having said that I disagree a bit on the basics of mixing. Given the magnitude of this song and the challenges you know it has I think I covered balancing quite well or else this wouldn't sound like it does. As for the processing... Many people here don't have a clue of what most people use in their processing. You can use 5 reverbs on a snare 3 on guitars.. I have used reverbs on kick.. Etc.. That will just make you a lot better at manipulating sound. Some guitars are recorded with reverb.. In a good treated room and their players are skilled when it comes to recording. Drums.. Bass... I understand that sometimes simple is the way to go.. I understand that sometimes all you need is just a stock compressor and things will sound good... But let me ask you this.. If I were to ask for you to match my mix as close as you can.. Would you be able to do it? I'm sure I couldn't match your but knowing and experimenting with sound manipulation will give you a better understanding.
For example how do I get that snare sound from as I lay dying with the snare I have right now. You can't tune it and you can't replace the recording. Sound manipulation with processing is your best friend.. And I'm guilty of trying to use varieties of plugins for this reason.

Thanks for the input on that site.. I shall check it out and see what it is in doing wrong because if there is something lack is eq ing guitars lol.

Much appreciate your thoughts thank you.

Messages In This Thread
Still Flying FINAL MIX (2) - by Shul - 08-11-2016, 05:16 AM
RE: Still Flying (Fixed mix) - by Blitzzz - 11-11-2016, 02:03 AM
RE: Still Flying (Fixed mix) - by Shul - 11-11-2016, 08:15 AM
RE: Still Flying (Fixed mix) - by Shul - 12-11-2016, 08:30 AM
RE: Still Flying (Fixed mix) - by Jimdolorian - 15-11-2016, 05:48 PM
RE: Still Flying (Fixed mix) - by Shul - 15-11-2016, 10:09 PM
RE: Still Flying FINAL MIX (with comments for those interested) - by Shul - 09-12-2016, 09:41 PM
RE: Still Flying FINAL MIX (2) - by Shul - 26-12-2016, 09:55 PM
RE: Still Flying FINAL MIX (2) - by Blitzzz - 27-12-2016, 05:20 PM
RE: Still Flying FINAL MIX (2) - by Blitzzz - 28-12-2016, 01:16 AM
RE: Still Flying FINAL MIX (2) - by Shul - 28-12-2016, 02:21 AM
RE: Still Flying FINAL MIX (2) - by Shul - 29-12-2016, 05:09 PM
RE: Still Flying FINAL MIX (2) - by chuck moe - 03-01-2017, 01:25 AM
RE: Still Flying FINAL MIX (2) - by CrackheadBill - 03-01-2017, 05:52 AM