Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Forkupines - Sleep By The Fire... (CRMC Mix)
folks....

the discussion concerning bass and it's comprehension is basically flawed and valueless to all intents and purposes, if the speaker in question doing the validating is employing a resonant port.....as do most speakers/monitors, simply because the woofer is incapable of delivering it on it's own. this is why sub-woofers exist (but note they should be non-resonant also....). the reason is complex and best left to your own researching, if interested. put simplistically, the cut-off frequency is too sharp. to assess bass with reasonable accuracy, the speaker should be biased in the time domain. most boxes are biased in the frequency domain, because people like to hear bass and the marketing department/design departments pander to their want and desires. it's another reason why anyone serious about their work shouldn't master it themselves unless suitably tooled and experienced enough to interpret it's output. i will also add, that most rooms aren't adequately acoustically treated nor are monitors ideally suited nor positioned for the room they are employed in (owing to practicalities....and ignorance, i hasten to add). it's all too easy to sit in a -30 null at 53Hz say, and be utterly oblivious to it!

and this is also why "referencing" under these conditions is a waste of time.

however, putting aside the question of boxes, we can call up the spectral analyser and visually see the over-abundance and unnecessary voltage this mix is producing. and this abundance has issues throughout the mix - all the way through. one area is perhaps surfacing in the treble range herein? it's highly fatiguing (yet nobody has commented?). once again a cursory glance at the spectral analyser reveals why. incidentally, tweeters are another science which is fraught with complexity....but most budget 2-way monitors lack sufficient headroom or competent design specifications owing to budgetary targets and the intended market. and once again the room's interference needs to be taken into account.......

.........it is said that somewhere between 60 and 80 percent of what you hear is being influenced/shaped by the room i.e. we are hearing the room and the consequences it has on our interpretation of what is coming out of the speakers and therefore skewing our perception /belief of what is happening in the DAW/playback system. so, it goes without saying therefore, that speakers are only part of a complex scenario in the control room...which is often a bedroom these days - massively absorbent in the treble range, highly reflective at the first reflection points and with utterly poor bass management (because it takes money and/or a lot of effort and know-how to fix it up!).

it also goes without saying, but i'm digressing marginally perhaps for the benefit of those who record in the forum, that if your monitoring "system" is compromised, your recordings will be too. and if you mix your own recordings....your mixes will be compromised, etc etc.

@Callum1145, may i courteously point you to the Commandments section in the front of the discussion page, especially the paragraph regarding "giving and taking"? by reciprocating, you will learn far more than you probably anticipate. this is a two-way street, yeah? please don't forget to give others feedback during your enthusiasm to post your own mixes.

Cheeeers,,
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Forkupines - Sleep By The Fire... (CRMC Mix) - by The_Metallurgist - 21-10-2015, 08:19 AM