Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Forkupines - Sleep By The Fire... (CRMC Mix)
Hey Beagle, Forkupine's producer here,
you are right! The drums were recorded in a professional studio, but in a small room, and that's why we had to deal with quick reflections and phase issues a lot. The snare didn't fit our expectations, that's why I added a phase coherent sample for that. The kick was fine in my opinion and really well isolated from the rest of the kit, but the sample added the special feel for it, I relied on drum layering for that.
What's funny about the tom trigger signals is that I only used them for gating the toms via side chain processing, not replacing them (snare and kick triggers are used for sampling and gate opening of the original signals). I really liked the material and, if you compare to "semantics" by Forkupines which is provided here as well, it's way better regarding phase issues and audio quality in my opinion. The toms were fine for me and were used completely without samples in the official mix, but sure, if anyone feels the urge to replace them with samples, go for it! That's why I posted the material here Smile But I have to agree with you in this point: The toms are a bit tricky. I don't like the toms in my mix. They lack a certain "magic", they sound flat and unnatural. Not because of any bleeding but because I'm not a professional and I don't really know how to properly deal with, say, a compressor. My mix was entirely based on instinct and it's not perfect.

Picking up the point of the room mics: I figured they'd sound good if you mash them with a 100% wet reverb that lifts up the snare. The kit sounds big because of digital reverbs and the room mics are only used to make the snare sound huge, bussing the sample onto the same reverb.

There have been quite a bunch of interesting, if not to say, awesome and creative mixes here and I'm absolutely stunned by the response, guys! Thanks a lot! Go on! Try everything you like! Add stuff, remove stuff, change the structure if you want to, add all the samples or more instruments or make a dubstep song out of it, I'd be honored!

Greets,
Till // Wurstdrummer // Forkupines

Messages In This Thread
RE: Forkupines - Sleep By The Fire... (CRMC Mix) - by wurstdrummer - 19-10-2015, 09:32 PM