Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Forkupines - Sleep By The Fire... (CRMC Mix)
I use KRK Rokit 8s, and I would suggest it is quite the opposite--that your system isn't giving you a good indication of bass response.

I used Ozone 6 in mastering this with referenced EQ against some big name bands (Green Day, Foo Fighters, et. al.), and my bass response is fine. Note that in a recent mixing tutorial, they discussed mixing this type of music and the need to cut a lot of the bass out due to the fact that the bass guitar actually acts like the low mid for the guitars.

When I talk about your tune opening up around 2:15, I mean the overall timbre literally comes wide open and sounds just right across the spectrum, rather than muddy.

Anyway, we can agree to disagree. I could have, I admit, given my mix more bass without doing harm I'm sure, but to me this tune did not warrant it.

Also, I think it is important to note that one could listen to 10 different songs and hear 10 completely different mixes, all appropriate and fine; some would be bassier and some tinnier. However, it isn't the amount of bass or lack thereof to me as much as whether it seems to yank something out to the listener, and this song needs a lot more punch in the upper mids relative to a lot of low end due to the style/genre.
Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
Mile-High Audio Productions
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Forkupines - Sleep By The Fire... (CRMC Mix) - by grizwalter - 18-10-2015, 03:31 AM