Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm Alright Mandubien's take
Hi Mandubien,

As promised I listened to your mix too.

Here are my findings (please be aware that as an Austrian I'm just telling you the things I didn't like, that also means that I liked everything I am not telling you):
(1) The first thing that puzzled me was the timing of the vocals. Did you do some time scale modification? Because I feel the timing is different than in my version or at least some syllables seem to be missing. I didn't find out exactly what it was.
(2) The singer is clearly singing with a lisp - did you use a deesser on the vocals or did you specifically EQ these frequency ranges? It is most obvious in the refrain where he sings "pieces", that sounds like "piethes". BTW: In my mix I didn't find a deesser to be necessary with this recording.
(3) The idea with the vocal-delay in the refrain is great, but I think it should be technically refined. As it is it's distracting me from the lead vocals. I also struggled to get that right and in the end omited it.
(4) I can't really hear the bassdrum/kick, neither on my main monitoring system, nor on my supplements or headphones. I can only guess it's there. Maybe it's the attack of the beater that needs to be strengthened a bit.
(5) I think the whole drumset is too dry and the snare doesn't snap enough. It feels too much upfront for me. I would at least try a gated reverb on the snare with at least 90% Early Reflections and a small room. I also have the overheads set quite high in my mix (they already contain a lot of room in this recording), because in my opinion the drumset feels much more natural with a good use of overheads.
But of course I know that you said in my mix the drumset has too much reverb for your taste. Maybe it is just the difference in our control rooms. Mine is quite expensively treated to have reverberation times below 300ms (for 60db decrease) throughout the whole frequency spectrum, and basically no comb-filtering at the listening position. So I might just hear a much different reverb response than you.

That's what I found for the moment. I hope it helps.

Best regards,
Markus

Messages In This Thread
I'm Alright Mandubien's take - by Mandubien - 26-08-2014, 09:01 PM
RE: I'm Alright Mandubien's take - by rossedmond - 26-08-2014, 11:02 PM
RE: I'm Alright Mandubien's take - by Mandubien - 27-08-2014, 06:24 AM
RE: I'm Alright Mandubien's take - by Mandubien - 27-08-2014, 11:00 AM
RE: I'm Alright Mandubien's take - by JustinvO - 27-08-2014, 12:50 PM
RE: I'm Alright Mandubien's take - by Mandubien - 27-08-2014, 04:03 PM
RE: I'm Alright Mandubien's take - by orthogonalrecords - 27-09-2014, 08:33 PM
RE: I'm Alright Mandubien's take - by Mandubien - 08-10-2014, 06:50 AM
RE: I'm Alright Mandubien's take - by Mandubien - 08-10-2014, 03:06 PM