Discussion Zone
I'm Alright Mandubien's take - Printable Version

+- Discussion Zone (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com)
+-- Forum: 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library: mixing forum (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=184)
+--- Forum: Rock, Punk, Metal (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Forum: Angels In Amplifiers: 'I'm Alright' (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=212)
+---- Thread: I'm Alright Mandubien's take (/showthread.php?tid=5848)

Pages: 1 2

I'm Alright Mandubien's take - Mandubien - 26-08-2014

Hello guys and girls !

Here's my take on this nice song. Please give me some feedback to see if I'm on the right way.

Cheers.

RE: I'm Alright Mandubien's take - rossedmond - 26-08-2014

(26-08-2014, 09:01 PM)Mandubien Wrote: Hello guys and girls !

Here's my take on this nice song. Please give me some feedback to see if I'm on the right way.

Cheers.

Overall, I think it's a good mix. Although, maybe it needs some colour (light n shade kinda thing), what I mean by that is that all the instrumentation "seems" to be just placed there and left to run it's course?

I feel the drums could do with a bit more beefing up also. (again, maybe that's just my personal preference)

Good job though.

Rosco

RE: I'm Alright Mandubien's take - Mandubien - 27-08-2014

Thank you for your feedback !

As a drummer, I usually place drums a bit over the rest, so that's why now I surely place them a bit behind. Will fix that !

Here's a second mix.
I added some tape saturation (J37 plugin), and rhythmic guitar during solos (copy from verse).
I raised the drums a little bit more.

RE: I'm Alright Mandubien's take - JustinvO - 27-08-2014

Overall pretty good mix. For me personally the snare drum sounds too tight. after the hit, the sound is quickly gone. Maybe try to fix that a little bit. A bit of reverb maybe.

(27-08-2014, 12:50 PM)JustinvO Wrote: Overall pretty good mix. For me personally the snare drum sounds too tight. after the hit, the sound is quickly gone. Maybe try to fix that a little bit. A bit of reverb maybe.

You're absolutely right, I totally forgot to add reverb to the snare.... Here's a new take with that fixed !

RE: I'm Alright Mandubien's take - orthogonalrecords - 27-09-2014

Hi Mandubien,

As promised I listened to your mix too.

Here are my findings (please be aware that as an Austrian I'm just telling you the things I didn't like, that also means that I liked everything I am not telling you):
(1) The first thing that puzzled me was the timing of the vocals. Did you do some time scale modification? Because I feel the timing is different than in my version or at least some syllables seem to be missing. I didn't find out exactly what it was.
(2) The singer is clearly singing with a lisp - did you use a deesser on the vocals or did you specifically EQ these frequency ranges? It is most obvious in the refrain where he sings "pieces", that sounds like "piethes". BTW: In my mix I didn't find a deesser to be necessary with this recording.
(3) The idea with the vocal-delay in the refrain is great, but I think it should be technically refined. As it is it's distracting me from the lead vocals. I also struggled to get that right and in the end omited it.
(4) I can't really hear the bassdrum/kick, neither on my main monitoring system, nor on my supplements or headphones. I can only guess it's there. Maybe it's the attack of the beater that needs to be strengthened a bit.
(5) I think the whole drumset is too dry and the snare doesn't snap enough. It feels too much upfront for me. I would at least try a gated reverb on the snare with at least 90% Early Reflections and a small room. I also have the overheads set quite high in my mix (they already contain a lot of room in this recording), because in my opinion the drumset feels much more natural with a good use of overheads.
But of course I know that you said in my mix the drumset has too much reverb for your taste. Maybe it is just the difference in our control rooms. Mine is quite expensively treated to have reverberation times below 300ms (for 60db decrease) throughout the whole frequency spectrum, and basically no comb-filtering at the listening position. So I might just hear a much different reverb response than you.

That's what I found for the moment. I hope it helps.

Best regards,
Markus

RE: I'm Alright Mandubien's take - Mandubien - 08-10-2014

Hi Markus,
Thanks for your feedback.

1. Yes I did some edition on the vocals, to replace them at their right place. Also I always remove any "sss" that ends a word in backing vocals, cause 9 times out of 10, it'a kinda mess. So only lead vocals keep these "sss".
Sometimes, I get rid of some disgraced "t" or "n" at the end of some words, because I find it simply does not sound good. It's probably more a subjective opinion.
2. I definitively used a deesser, but it could need some improvement. I'll check this out.
3. You're right, the idea is good, but not properly executed. I should double the main vocals instead and use another delay.
4. I will listen again to this kick, it sounded good with my headphones (don't have monitors yet).
5. As I said before, I use only headphones for now, cause I can afford monitors now (I prefer spending money in nap pies for my 17 month boy ^^), but again I will listen again and see what I can do.

Thank you for liking everything else Smile)

RE: I'm Alright Mandubien's take - orthogonalrecords - 08-10-2014

Alright, now it becomes clear to me why you are using reverbs so sparingly. For the simple reason that it's impossible to judge reverbs/delays on headphones.
It may well be that also your de-essing suffers from a presence peak of your headphones. I would double check that somewhere else, e.g., in your car or at your HiFi-device or whatever you have at your disposal. The reason for saying that is, that my headphones (ATH M-50 X) seem to have such a presence peak and are also sounding overly bright in my opinion.
Anyway, as I said before on both of my monitoring systems (EMES black tv hr active (which is very true in the mid-frequency region) & Yamaha HS80M (which is quite bassy and bright)) I don't feel the need to de-ess anything in that song.

When it comes to your vocal editing I agree that it is quiet subjective. However, my feeling is that the timing isn't right anymore. Maybe it's just that there's too much perfection with your alignment.

Best regards,
Markus

RE: I'm Alright Mandubien's take - Mandubien - 08-10-2014

Ah ah, I'm a drummer, so I love perfect timing Big Grin

Yeah, unfortunately I only have headphones to mix for now. These are AKG K240 Studio. Very good ones, but yeah good monitors would be better.

Why is it impossible to judge reverb/delay with headphones ? I usually listen on my car, iPod, tv and computer to adjust my mixes.

I recently mixed a power rock song for my band, and they were very happy with it. You can listen to it here : https://soundcloud.com/perpetualescape/cheat-beat-kill

Can you have a listen on my other mixes here if I made same mistakes with delays and reverbs ?

Thanks a lot !