Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Ferryboat Men- Wind of Gypsy Moor
Roy has some good pointers. I think your balances can get better and all of this obviously will come with practice. I know roy pointed them out but I'll maybe repeat some things.

"Oh here she comes" back vocals are very loud in comparison even with the solo so you should switch from location to location comparing the main vocals with back vocals. This will get you closer to where things have to be at.

Drums on these tracks have a bleed problem. I remember I had to go deleting anything but the exact hits of the toms to get rid of the bad bleed. I also gated the snare top and bottom mic just enough to get rid of that snare rattle when the toms hit. Overall the drums are not easy to deal with. It takes a bit of time to tweak levels and in some tracks you even have to flip the Phase. Sometimes when I mix I flip the phase on overheads or room track just to hear what it sounds like. You'd be surprised how dramatic a change you find on some tracks (not all the time). Whatever you gotta do to make it work as a group of tracks right? Some reverb in the drums would be nice especially with these particular songs where there is A TON of space to fill in between things. I can take a guess as to why you went with toms in the center. Is it because panning them gave you a bunch of background distracting bleed? I too though of doing the center toms but.. The song needs separation to shine so I kept working till I made them work.

Lead guitar sounds louder than the vocal at times so You should A/B compare between lead vocals and lead guitars.

Ocean track is meant to be there as a filler mostly. you are not supposed to make it obvious but rather a neat thing for people to discover as they hear the song. The owl track is kinda loud too. I agree with Roy the ending should be faded out so you don't have a long nature sound that's pretty much not necessary.

Last but not least on that chorus "oh here she comes", it should have some time of excitement going on to make different than the verse. Use the cymbals, the snare (which should be nice sounding) and the back vocals to enhance that section. I feel your snare is a bit dead sounding so it's gonna need some more EQ work to make it shine.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Ferryboat Men- Wind of Gypsy Moor - by Shul - 18-04-2024, 04:45 AM