Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
**NEW** Home In the Country - Shortened Arms
(29-09-2023, 09:16 AM)Monk Wrote: The feedback isn’t only about you. It’s for the educational benefit of the community as a whole, of which we participants contribute willingly to this fundamental cause. I am making a contribution herewith, and others can benefit (or not, as the case often is). If I merely said your mix was fatiguing, you wouldn’t know the cause (otherwise it wouldn’t have been posted with the issues).  Similarly, anyone reading wouldn’t have a clue because the causes underlying fatigue are many and varied, some not so obvious.  As a self proclaimed audio engineer, I’d expect you to understand this.

There are issues in your mix.  The voice moving about in the stereo domain is a major one, however a critique is what it is, and there’s plenty to critique because of the issues in the arrangement and how this impinges on any mix vision, not least yours.  It’s a difficult song to mix and this shouldn’t be under estimated which appears to have been the case according to your OP.  Some of these problems are foisted upon us by telefunken eg printed automation, which I will say again, adds to the complexities and compromises.

The example I gave regarding the problem with the lead vocal is very real and needs to be understood.  It’s underlying problem offers a valuable learning opportunity for everyone here, including myself. I suspect there to be a phase issue somewhere which M/S processing is possibly aggravating in this instance?  M/S hates phase. Whatever, your treatment and parameter selection is causing it somehow and it would be helpful to everyone here, especially you, if you identified the cause rather than being defensive of a faulty mixmaster.  You have not done so yet despite my request and a clear description regarding the nature of the outcome! 

Your mixmaster is fatiguing.  Fatigue is not a matter of taste or personal preference.  Many are fatiguing. My rough draft is. My new mix isn’t because I spent an inordinate amount of time working out how best to overcome the issues, along with a few other, errr, challenges. You would be wise to do the same?

Yes, it is indeed “YOUR” mix. Now you have an opportunity to fix some things (or try to fix!) should you wish, including the illusion of Mikaela’s ridiculously long arms.
I do not understand your objection to such a minor image issue, or that it exists at all. I was always taught that movement was good. Why is it bad in this instance?
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]

Messages In This Thread
RE: To Fade or Not to Fade, Home In the Country - by Mixinthecloud - 30-09-2023, 09:59 PM