Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
**NEW** Home In the Country - Shortened Arms
(24-09-2023, 11:53 AM)Monk Wrote: Hmmmmmmm.  I’m not sure why you didn’t merely drop an M/S eq on her rather than deploy the Shenanigan.dll. At least it won’t make the voice unstable in the stereo domain. Posts above mentioned “balanced”, but I have no idea what they were listening to.

I personally find your mixmaster too wide. It’s a minimalist arrangement, and mono sources; too much separation adds excessive focus, eg rhythm gtr. Its role is surely not worthy of so much attention which you’re drawing to it.  Is it perhaps your instrument of choice? It also puts big empty spaces between the performers (wide speaker placement really flags this up cf nearfields). In a wide arrangement, you are helping to aggravate the spectral disparity between the channels, which increases listener fatigue.

Mikaela has long arms in your mix (and most other threads), no?
Dude,
If you don't like my approach to the mix, just say so. Like, "I find your mix fatiguing". 
As for my M/S eq, I have a very nice one on each of my busses which I use when I feel it is the best solution for clarity and placement. My decision, my mix.
Please define what you mean by the instability of the voice in the stereo domain. That seems nebulous at best and vague at worst. What instability are you hearing which I am not?
As for the widening, it is done mostly by the placement of the mono sources in the stereo field. Because of the paucity of content the clarity of each element was a desired solution musically and arrangement-wise for me. Her voice was widened by only the slightest amount against the ensemble to have it fill most of the space in the middle. Again, any artificial widening was very minimal. I don;t typically like the sound of a over-wide stereo field either and nothing is poking out of the sides here.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]

Messages In This Thread
RE: To Fade or Not to Fade, Home In the Country - by Mixinthecloud - 26-09-2023, 01:30 AM