Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We're Tholas P. - Ask Us Anything
(07-12-2020, 01:28 PM)BKM Wrote: Hey fireyomismo - first of all, thank you so much for the compliments! Regarding the mono overhead, you might want to re-read the last sentence in the post above haha ... very unfortunate routing mistake that I didn't spot on location with the drummer. I had just bought a Behringer X32 rack for large sessions like that and I was, in all honesty, completely overwhelmed with the routing possibilities.

Mics on drums:
Kick: Shure Beta 91A (in) and Beta 52A (out-ish, located just inside of the porthole)
Snare: SM57 (top), Audix i5 (bot)
Toms: Audix F2
OHs: Oktava MK 012 stereo (well ... hum) pair
Rooms: Audix F9

Vocal mic was a Shure Beta 58.

Guitar signal chain for rhythms was my Schecter C1 Exotic Star with EMG 81/60 into a Radial Pro48 DI box and into a Zoom UAC-2 audio interface. I edited the DI fairly tightly with the drums and the bass to enhance the groove. Then reamped it through my Kemper, profile was a 50W Wizard amp with a 4x12 Wizard cab created by the great Howard Benson. I believe I used a tubescreamer as well (no gain, volume 12 o'clock, tone 1-2 o'clock). The leads I played on an ESP LTD 401FM with EMG 81/60 but I can't exactly recall what amp and cab profiles I used, I just flicked through profiles until I found one that was sitting well in the mix. (Same approach for rhythm guitars but I was so surprised by the Wizard, which I had never heard of before, that I remembered it)
Ok ... I just read this comment. Wow. Just, wow. I literally cannot believe you got such an amazing recording from that equipment. A Behringer X32? My goodness. I use those for mixing live gigs, and I thought they sounded very mediocre. Until today. I cannot believe the quality of this recording. I thought you must have recorded the session on an SSL or even an old Focusrite. I literally cannot believe how clear and dynamic the recording is. Unreal.

Secondly, the mics and the mic placement on the drum kit was so good that on my mix I use ZERO eq or compression on the individual channels except for the snare. I've attached a screenshot for proof. I only have a verb at 10% on the snare samples and some basic buss treatment, but that buss processing is very mild. Unbelievable. Simply unbelievable.

Also, I would mention that I don't know much about guitars, or guitar equipment, but I did replace all the guitars with my own re-amping. I hope you don't mind.

Finally, everything else is so well done. I'm just shocked you used a Behringer x32. Shocked that it sounds that good.

Excellent recording, and thanks so much for allowing us to use it.

Thumbnail(s)

~
Other Mixes

Messages In This Thread
We're Tholas P. - Ask Us Anything - by BKM - 07-12-2020, 08:07 AM
RE: We're Tholas P. - Ask Us Everything - by BKM - 07-12-2020, 01:28 PM
RE: We're Tholas P. - Ask Us Everything - by Quathamer - 09-12-2020, 02:02 PM
RE: We're Tholas P. - Ask Us Everything - by BKM - 15-12-2020, 07:28 PM
RE: We're Tholas P. - Ask Us Everything - by BKM - 09-12-2020, 06:32 AM
RE: We're Tholas P. - Ask Us Everything - by Roy - 09-12-2020, 03:16 PM
RE: We're Tholas P. - Ask Us Everything - by BKM - 15-12-2020, 07:13 PM