Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm Alright Mandubien's take
Ok, maybe it was to drastic to say "impossible", but at least it's very hard unless you have a lot of experience how pro-mixes sound with headphones. The reason is that you are somehow sitting right inside the mix when using headphones, i.e., you get an overexagerated stereo-spread and reverbs and delays tend to sound much "bigger" as they really are or rather as they would sound on monitors or other speakers. So you are easily fooled into thinking your mix has enough reverb while it actually is still quite dry. However, I find headphones perfect for doing surgical work, like editing work, e.g., removing clicks, pops, etc.

On the other hand I have to say that I am a big fan of depth and space in mixes. That doesn't mean I like how 80s stuff tends to sound - with big reverb tails etc. - but rather that I like it when the instruments also stagger well in depth. I always reference Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon in this case, which is extremely well produced and mixed in my opinion.

Of course I will have a listen to your other mixes as well - but my answers may may take some time. I am quite busy at the moment.