Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mykey Massacre - Open FIre (Mix/Master)
Hi!

Wow V4 is certainly loud Smile

Having referenced a few pro mixes I feel this is such a difficult mix to nail and get everything sitting just right.  I'm not sure I have a totally consistent opinion either, as I find it can be difficult to maintain a proper perspective with heavy guitar tracks. 

I think the latest mix is still perhaps a bit hot in the 4k? ish region perhaps.  Kick and snare sound a hair bright and forward to me too, as do the OH tracks.  To me the OH tracks dominating the mix a little I think kind of throws the frequency balance of the rest out for me.  Solos are sounding a bit kind of 'roomy'.  I feel I did the same thing on my first couple mixes too!

All the same - top marks for sticking with it and giving it a few mixes.  Also bear in mind that these are all my pretty uneducated thoughts.  Hopefully there are some metal mixing experts out there who can provide some alternative critque too.

Well, I'm off to listen to some Andy Sneap mixes and to try not to cry too much! Big Grin.

Take care.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(07-01-2024, 04:51 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

Wow V4 is certainly loud Smile

Having referenced a few pro mixes I feel this is such a difficult mix to nail and get everything sitting just right...
Hello Mike, thanks for the new feedback. And i agree, not an easy one to mix, man, i had struggles whit this one. i reeded you feedback and i tried to make some changes, lowering the Overs and H.H a bit and reduce some level of the gtr solo verb with the hope to get it a just a bit in pocket. So, new one uploaded (V4.1). I think this one is the final mix for this track for me. I think that all reduces to the quality of the recorded tracks. If the session it's not so good, well, don't expect too much. But it's great to have them. and i hear you on that in seen more mixing sessions videos. Smile
Cheers!!
Hi,

I hope to have some time later today to check out your latest mix.

I agree that a lot of what goes in to making a good metal track is how the parts are recorded and how the arrangement is put together. I feel a lot of big tracks are recorded and arranged in a particular way, with the end goal and sound in mind. Which is great if you are the recording and mixing engineer working with the band and know what that vision is. Kind of have to guess a bit with the tracks on here, but the library mix helps. Also we do all have different tastes, aims and ideas too of course.

With this track for example - referencing with other tracks I feel tonally the library mix is about right, but is maybe a little heavy on the reverb and effects perhaps?

For me I do feel the raw tracks here are in pretty good shape. I felt a rough mix of this with no effects or eq was certainly in the right ballpark?

I honestly don't really spend nearly enough time listening to metal though. As you probably gather I do like listening to eg. recent Judas Priest and things now and again though - as I find the mixes incredible. The recent live concert mixes are amazing too.

As I mentioned before mixing metal is so tough to get right and small eq or balance moves here and there can make all the difference.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
I listened to v4.1. Overall it sounds pretty good.
I think the vocals overall could be louder. They feel a bit 'shy'.

I think we have opposing views on the solo, which is fine but I do think it can come up. It feels a bit back in the mix especially when bookended by those other, brighter guitar parts. It should be a bit more cocky, if that makes sense. It gets outshined by the ride cymbal which sounds pretty good by the way.

Also that snare effect thingy could be louder as well. The energy dips down in that section between the intro guitar and when the band goes full force.

I find the overall mix to be a bit 'clicky'. I'm not sure if it's the clipping that I'm hearing or not.

That's all. Sounds good.
Hi!

Yes - mix 4.1 is sounding much more together.

I agree the verse vocal could maybe come up a touch (and possibly the chorus - to maintain that kind of level difference between the two so the chorus still sounds bigger than the verses), and I'm still not sure about that solo sound! Getting the vocals right is tricky - sometimes things sound better with the vocal sitting with the guitars, other times it can be better to have the vocals a touch more upfront. Sometimes I find the perception of vocal level can sometimes change - depending on if you are listening on speakers or headphones too.

Other than that - yes pretty good!

Cheers!
(09-01-2024, 03:23 PM)Roy Wrote: I listened to v4.1. Overall it sounds pretty good.
I think the vocals overall could be louder. They feel a bit 'shy'...
Thanks Roy for check it out again. I appreciated.
I will try on futures mixes to compensate lower sounds, i was trying to add different dynamics to the song, to avoid a flat one. 
oh well, thanks for write your honest view. And yeah, i think i overused the clipper. It won't happen again. (Don't beliveme on that one, trust me, i will do that).
Cheers!
(09-01-2024, 09:31 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

Yes - mix 4.1 is sounding much more together. 

I agree the verse vocal could maybe come up a touch...
Thank you Mike for listening the new file.
Yeah, those vocals wasn't easy for sure. Maybe the reason of that it's that i increased the gain of the rhythm gtr and the vocals got buried in the mix. perhaps the same thing happened on the solo gtr. anyway, i will keep that in mind on futures mixes. I got so much fun with this track. I took really good advices from you, thank you again!
Cheers!
(10-01-2024, 07:23 AM)Unknow Mixer Wrote:
(09-01-2024, 03:23 PM)Roy Wrote: I listened to v4.1. Overall it sounds pretty good.
I think the vocals overall could be louder. They feel a bit 'shy'...
Thanks Roy for check it out again. I appreciated.
I will try on futures mixes to compensate lower sounds, i was trying to add different dynamics to the song, to avoid a flat one. 
oh well, thanks for write your honest view. And yeah, i think i overused the clipper. It won't happen again. (Don't beliveme on that one, trust me, i will do that).
Cheers!
Honest reviews are the most helpful!
As far as the clipper you do whatever makes you happy in the end. I'm guilty of it too. That said, beyond the most extreme cases, I've never said "this song isn't loud enough". I have noticed the effects of trying to make a song louder, though and it was never positive. It's cool and I get trying to push things and that's a useful endeavor but I don't find it to benefit the song in the end. Sorry to rant, it's just pet peeve of mine.
(12-01-2024, 03:30 PM)Roy Wrote: Honest reviews are the most helpful!
As far as the clipper you do whatever makes you happy in the end. I'm guilty of it too. That said, beyond the most extreme cases, I've never said "this song isn't loud enough". I have noticed the effects of trying to make a song louder, though and it was never positive. It's cool and I get trying to push things and that's a useful endeavor but I don't find it to benefit the song in the end. Sorry to rant, it's just pet peeve of mine.
Nothing to be sorry Roy. I understand u'r point, i just wanted that this track had the level of loudness of others rock tracks that I've been cheeking. but maybe i went too much. I'll try to not push the things too hard in next mixes. thanks for keep writing your honest thoughts. cheers!